SaltCritters.com

My 5 Gallon

jrhietikko

here is a picture of my 5 gallon nano ive had for about 3-4 months now. you can see the corals i have, i also have 5 blue legs, 1 margarita, 1 turbo, 1 damsel, 1 camelback shrimp, and a harlequin shrimp.

im open for any comments and/or suggestions

tank2.jpg

hmm....3-4 months already with that Goniopora. Tell us how it goes because supposidly those things are hard to keep.

What do you feed your harlequin shrimp ? I heard that they have to live with a starfish because it eats part of it every month or so.

the goniopora is doing okay i guess. sometimes during the day it closes halfway. i dont have test kits to see what changes to make it do different things. sometimes my damsel goes by it and some closes up so that could be part of it. but its actually opened up bigger than the time on the pic before.

as for the shrimp, i got him a huge starfish to eat. its not in the tank. its in the freezer. i cut off a chunk and drop it in every week or so. he knows its there and will come out in the middle of the day and run after the thing, chasing off the camelback shrimp if he got to it first. then he just picks off it and carries it with him where ever he goes till its finished.

WOW so your frozen starfish trick works???

I have been thinking I will use my sump to raise starfish as he eats....I could cut off chunks of them and try to let them regenerate...

by the way if I cut the tip off the star fish it will grow back right? it is not just in terms of losing a whole limb??

but maybe I will try your way...

Also do you find any remains???

I put a whole chocolate chip star fish int he tank and he ate it for about 1 week...and there are absolutely no remains of the huge star???

hmmmm

You have guts.....

Those are two of the hardest things to keep (GONE-i-pora and HAD-a-quin shrimp:))I've tried both, once, never again. Niether made it more than a few months. Good Luck!

(Edited by fish04 at 1:00 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

the only reason i froze the starfish is because it died. my friend said he saw a nature show that hey cut starfish completely in half, straight throught the center, and they healed back up and multiplied. so when i first got it i cut off one leg from the center of the starfish. it lived in a separate tank i got just for it, but then died, so i froze it.

i havnt found any remains from the pieces, i guess they get eaten up somehow. i cant see how that little thing eats all of it, its really hard, i have to hack at it with a big knife just to cut off a piece.

ive heard people saying that freezing it takes nutients away. i hope my shrimp doesnt suffer from this if its true, because hes so cool to watch, and he watches me if i go up to the front of the tank, following my finger around.

as for the goniopora, i got it the same week i set up the tank. got it at the lfs without doing any research on them at all (i know, a big no no).

Probably not a good idea to cut off the star leg either! I'm not going to lecture you though, but live and learn. The reason it worked for the nature show is because they understood what portion of the star they had to have to "clone" a new star. Breaking off a leg won't  necessarily grow a new fish ,  it will just replace that missing appendage. To get a two seperate stars from one is not that easy. The star's body has to be severed so that portions of the vital organs go with each piece. Then there is a POSSIBILITY that two seperate organisims will form. As you can guess, it's a pretty high mortality rate, but it's part of the whole survival of the fittest thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Of course the nature show only showed the one that worked, I guarantee they hacked a couple apart that became fish food. Just an FYI for you! Good Luck!

lighting is 2x13w 6,400k PCs and 1x13w actinic from AH.

also a few days ago i took out my camelback shrimp and my colt coral. the shrimp was causing too much trouble i think. i think it has been eating the colt and my yellow polyps. i only have 10 of 50 polyps left. i also moved the leather forward because he seems to like the light alot and its stronger up there (he was leaning forward).

Archived