Cultivated Reef

pistol shrimp and Watchman?

05XRunner

Well yesterday i got a Pistol shrimp..I have had a yellow watchman in my tank for about month and a half. he hides in one rock and doesnt really come out but to poke his head out to eat. I put the pistol in lastnight trying to put it in near the watchman and it took off into my rock work...Are they good at finding each other..I hope they pair up or that pistol is gonna be a waste being never see it again.

What type of pistol shrimp? I have seen people here that have successfully paired large pistol shrimp with watchman gobies.

I have a small red banded pistol shrimp, and I added a yellow watchman goby, but it doesn't look like they have paired up. The watchman has it one corner of the tank, and the pistol have cave exits all over the place.

triggerfreak

Give it some time. I just added a watchman that was about 1 1/2 inch and a tiger pistol shrimp that was about a half inch to the same tank and they paired up right away. Bought from 2 different stores but added in tank at same time. The watchman look quite a bit bigger than my pistol but they paired right up. It made me soooooooooo happy.

I shoulda put the pistol in a net and put it right at watchmans cave...that pistol is in my rock work probably to never be seen again and die in there

How big is the tank, also? I've had a really tiny Randalli shrimp for over a month now.. I rarely saw it, maybe once by using a flashlight and seeing his whiskers. I bought a little Randalli goby last week, and when I came back from vacation the other day, they had already built a nice-sized burrow together.. and now I see my pistol all the time! My goby will stand guard at the opening and let the shrimp run from hole to hole and find food.. its pretty cool. But yeah, so they should find each other.. just give it time. :)

its a 75gal

The watchman like NEVER comes out of his rock..except when i squirt food infront of it he will come out enough to grab some food.

give it some more time, like people have said - do you have lots of small rocks/rubble in the tank? I had my yellow watchman for about a week before I added a tiger pistol, roughly the same size as yours - they paired IMMEDIATELY, and that is no exaguration - I dropped the shrimp towards the same hole the watchman was 'using' and it was instant love - this may encourage both the pistol and watchman to come out more, as I see mine all the time.

give it some more time, like people have said - do you have lots of small rocks/rubble in the tank? I had my yellow watchman for about a week before I added a tiger pistol, roughly the same size as yours - they paired IMMEDIATELY, and that is no exaguration - I dropped the shrimp towards the same hole the watchman was 'using' and it was instant love - this may encourage both the pistol and watchman to come out more, as I see mine all the time.

i got 90lbs of rock..and its a dense rock work

• 1 month later...
cosmic1981

no kidding! i was thinking that my yellow goby will probably team with the pistol after a couple weeks. they acutally paired up over night! and yes! i do get to see them both a lot more! My yellow goby is no longer shy! - i have an 24ap

Archived