Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What does 14k, 15k, and 20k mean?

jdavis28

What is the difference between 14k, 15k, 20k metal halide bulbs?

For example if I were to buy a 20k hang on back of tank Metal Halide, why not go with a 15k or 14k?

What does the differnces in the number "k" mean?

thanks

TIM

What is the difference between 14k, 15k, 20k metal halide bulbs?

For example if I were to buy a 20k hang on back of tank Metal Halide, why not go with a 15k or 14k?

What does the differnces in the number "k" mean?

thanks

TIM

K refers to the Kelvin scale or temperature of the light basically the higher the K the bluer the light looks, lower K tend to be better for coral growth and more intense 20K is basically a very blue look to the take with less intensity than a 14K

Cheers,

Ken

so bottom line, higher the K=more blue tint is given off?

and lower the K=more white color put off?

thanks for the reply

tim

er1c_the_reefer

technically the lower the kelvin, the more "yellow" it is. lower kelvins also tend to have higher "PAR" rating. you can look that up on your own though, i can probably right an essay on it if i wasn't supposed to be studying for class right now.

i swear my gpa has dropped by .30 ever since i started coming to nr.com

anyone else?

trying to decide what bulb to get with the 150w MH hang on light.

14,15,20k or what is the diff with the DE bulbs?

what should I do? decisions decisions. help a bro out guys

tango

HecticDialectics
anyone else?

trying to decide what bulb to get with the 150w MH hang on light.

14,15,20k or what is the diff with the DE bulbs?

what should I do? decisions decisions. help a bro out guys

tango

You should decide by the kelvin AND the bulb manufacturer. You could pick 14k... but a hamilton 14k is way less blue than a pheonix 14k, which are both more blue than an iwasaki 15k.

My suggestion if you LIKE lots of blue is to go with a pheonix 14k. 20Ks don't have very strong light intensity, so they'd be a better choice if it were 250W or 400W. If you like it more crisp white, lots of people dig the hamilton 14k bulb.

how deep is your tank and what are you going for?

10K bulbs grow coral faster than a 20K bc theres more white light (sun has a very low kelvin rating, if you will). But most people think 20K looks better.

If you are doing a shallow tank go with the 14 or 10, 20 looks funny in a shallow tank. If you want fast coral growth, try a 10 k

it is for a 12 gal eclipse.

I was thinking something in between a full crisp white and a deep blue. so would i want a 15k? or maybe a 14k?

I still have no clue.

I plan to keep sps and lps. soft and hard corals. I would guess the tank is about 1.5ft deep from top to bottom.

If i upgrade to a 35gal in the near future, I plan to keep the MH and get another, thus giving me a total of about 300w of MH.

But for now, this will just be for the eclipse 12. (current setup is DIY-retrofit 96w PC quad. blue and white bulb- 10,000k) I like the compromise of blue and white tones) crisp white with some blue is awesome in my opinion

Tango

i would suggest a 14... our tanks at the shop are 12 inches deep. we put a 20k in the fixture and it looked really bizarre. We had to reorder all the bulbs because the 20 k looked so "fake"

go for 14, i think you'd be happy with the look of it. Thats what I use on my tank with is a 11 gal (see pics in my sig)

Archived