SaltCritters.com

GFCI question

siskiou

Before we set up our tank, I want to make sure the electrical needs are up to spec.

Warning: I know very little about the workings of electricity! ;)

Are there any GFCI type power strips that can be plugged into a grounded outlet?

Or how does it work if I plug a power strip into a GFCI outlet?

If anything plugged into this strip trips, everything hanging on it will be out (I assume)?

And which electical parts (if any) for the aquarium are reasonably safe to be plugged into a regular, non GFCI outlet?

Can you easily add a second outlet next to a dedicated outlet?

Siskiou

SeaMountain

Yeah. I've seen GFI Power Strips at PetSmart when I was there the other day.

To add an additional outlet to an existing strip you need to take into account the amp load of all the equipment you'll be running at one time. Then make sure you have the correct Amp Breaker in the main box.

If you have access to the box in a basement it is a simple matter to 'pull' a whole new devoted circuit for your tank too. When in doubt - Contract it out!!! Get a qualified Electric Guy, or invest in the Time Life Home Remodelling Series of books! :D

B)

I probably know even less than you, but I do know that electricity is dangerous, saltwater conducts it VERY well and you are the worlds greatest grounding probe.

When those three decide to come together you're in for a real treat.

What I did is about as overkill as possible. Not at all necessary, but I had the stuff around so I figured I'd use it.

I have an American Power Supply Back-Ups, although I don't remember which model, plugged into a grounded outlet on it's own circuit. The APS gives me a built-in GFI, battery back-up & power conditioning. It has two grounded outlets in the back. Into those I have two powerstrips with built-in GFI breakers. I plug all my electrical equipment into these...lights, powerheads, pumps, heater, skimmer, etc.

In addition to all that I have a titanium grounding probe in my sump that is plugged into a seperate grounded wall outlet.

If I get zapped with all that then I figure it's just my time to go.

Another place to watch-out is in the bucket where you mix your change water. I recently had a powerhead go bad while it was in action mixing my water. Now this powerhead was plugged directly into a wall socket with built-in GFI protection. When I stuck my hydrometer into the water the tip of my index finger made contact with the h2o. It felt like a thousand very ####ed-off hornets had decided to simultaneously sting my right hand. For a while I thought I was going to lose the nail, but it's still there, although it did turn a different color for a short time.

That's only ordinary household current too. I can't even imagine being hit by a faulty appliance that runs on 220 volts!!!!!

Ike

Oh I forgot to mention that the built-in GFI outlet didn't trip.

That was a little bit like the time my car was T-boned at an intersetion in Jersey City basically bending the whole car in half and my side impact air bag decided NOT to go off. I guess Volkswagen & I have different definitions of side impact.

Translation: don't rely on any "automatic" devices to save your ass. Use them, but don't rely on them.

Ike

Originally posted by SeaMountain

If you have access to the box in a basement it is a simple matter to 'pull' a whole new devoted circuit for your tank too. When in doubt - Contract it out!!! Get a qualified Electric Guy, or invest in the Time Life Home Remodelling Series of books! :D

B)

Yeah!

It's probably going to come down to that.

Should have married an electrician ;)

The devoted outlet is for our computer, if that tells you anything.

There is no room in our breaker box for another devoted outlet, though I think there are ways around that, if I remember correctly.

Siskiou

Originally posted by Ike

I have an American Power Supply  Back-Ups, although I don't remember which model, plugged into a grounded outlet on it's own circuitIke

I'll have to do a search on that, but it sounds expensive :blush:

And I definitely respect electricity, very much so!

Thanks for the salt mixing story. I'll definitely remember to turn the powerhead off before reaching into the water!

Siskiou

There is no room in our breaker box for another devoted outlet, though I think there are ways around that, if I remember correctly.

Not necessarily; you can get breakers that can handle two lines that fit in one spot of your panel, essentially giving you 2 for 1.

As for power bars not tripping ...

GFIC outlets are built to electrical standards to save lives (think toaster thrown into bathtub); power bars are made to add a little bit of extra protection so you don't blow out your alarm clock with a power flicker. I wouldn't rely on one to save my bacon ... or keep me from becoming bacon :D

Originally posted by Masoch

GFIC outlets are built to electrical standards to save lives (think toaster thrown into bathtub); power bars are made to add a little bit of extra protection so you don't blow out your alarm clock with a power flicker. I wouldn't rely on one to save my bacon ... or keep me from becoming bacon :D

Just making sure I understand what you are saying:

Do you mean a power bar plugged into a GFCI outlet (and subsequently anything connected to that power bar) does not protect you?

Or do you mean a power bar plugged into a regular outlet?

Siskiou

Do you mean a power bar plugged into a GFCI outlet (and subsequently anything connected to that power bar) does not protect you?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. GFCI will protect you, even if you're using that el cheapo WalMart power bar. GFCI is code everywhere in North America whereever water and electricity can meet (bathrooms, outside, kitchens, laundry rooms, etc.), and should always be used with aquariums.

What I was trying to say is that, on their own, most power bars don't offer protection from electrocution.

As a side note, my brother accidentally dunked his NO fixture into a FW tank. He was OK, but fried everything in his tank. He installed a GFCI the next day. The next time he dunked his fixture, nothing died since the GFCI tripped.

Local Library has tons of DIY books, with thorough instruction and pics. Used em myself to put outdoor light, plugs, pond pump in backyard. I had no idea what i was doing, books made it really easy.

stop! before this poor person burns their house down! trust me i've had to go back and fix problems all the dyi electrical problems people seem to create. not to offend anybody, but for the most part anyone with out a liscense does NOT need to be playing around in their breaker box. it's dangerous! much juice + dyi'ers = fried dyi'ers. if you want to add a circut to you house dedicatd to your fish tank then get a licensed electrician. do not add one of the thinline two pole breakers to your box. they burn up easier than normal ones. your current electrical outlet will be more than adaquate for a nano. most circut breakers for house hold 120 volt plugs are 15 to 20 amps. your nano will not pull any where near that much juice. quite often plugs in a house are wired in parallel with up to 3 or 4 other plugs and say the lights for a room. (this is why when you run your vaccume some time your light will dim) so don;t wory about your little nano suck up to much juice. it won't i run about 12 tanks (no bigger than 10 gallons) off of four circuits. don't sweat it. it's not worth worring about. also gfci power strips do not work. they only protect you elecrtical equpment from power surges. my advice is this, just change out your old plug for a gfi. if you want to know exactly how to do this just pm me or email me at offsprg01@hotmail.com

First off, I don't have a "licence", but manage to learn how to work with electricity, or atleast not kill myself:P .....(see below)

That being said, I agree with offsprg that your existing plug can "more than" handle you tanks needs. Furthermore, the equipment we run on tanks (maybe with the exception of some MH bulbs) can handle power surges, brown outs, or outages just fine! Unlike your computer with all its "sensitive circuitry" which really need a surge protector.

Now my funny new, first-time, home buyer story.......wife and I just got our new dryer from Lowes and I had to put the "220V" plug on the back (cuz the driver forgot). Well, got everything done, no problems.....plug it in...works great!!! Go to move the dryer duct a scosh........X) z z z X)z z z X) ........??? Good thing curly hair is in and my wife loves my new speech empediment!!

Maybe I should get a contractor from now on:P

Okay, the GFCI is installed.

It was much easier than I envisioned it to be, and now the 20G tank is set up and waiting for some LR/LS.

Thanks for all the help and the scary stories ;)

I made sure to wear rubber solded shoes, just in case!

Siskiou

Archived