Top Shelf Aquatics

Am I spending too much on food for my coral?

mvite

Yo-

I feed LPS fairly heavily. I usually use Hikari Mysis and Cycopeez.

Lately I have been seeing PE Mysis advertised as having high protein like Cyclopeez,(60%+), so I set out to find some. My crappy ol' LFS only had some nasty freezerburned packages of PE Mysis--but I wanted it---so I bought one.

They seemed a lot larger than Hikari mysis so I tried cutting them up before defrosting. There were a lot of "floaters"--I think because many were freezer burned. They worked OK otherwise.

Because of PE Mysis' ads about "high protein" it made me take note that Hikari mysis has only a fraction of the protein of PE mysis.

My question is--how can I still feed heavily and not go broke on Cyclopeez?

Has anyone tried grinding up some clams, shrimp, etc and frozen it to make their own food? Does anyone know the protein content of our food quality uncooked seafood?

Any happy results?

Yo-

I feed LPS fairly heavily. I usually use Hikari Mysis and Cycopeez.

Lately I have been seeing PE Mysis advertised as having high protein like Cyclopeez,(60%+), so I set out to find some. My crappy ol' LFS only had some nasty freezerburned packages of PE Mysis--but I wanted it---so I bought one.

They seemed a lot larger than Hikari mysis so I tried cutting them up before defrosting. There were a lot of "floaters"--I think because many were freezer burned. They worked OK otherwise.

Because of PE Mysis' ads about "high protein" it made me take note that Hikari mysis has only a fraction of the protein of PE mysis.

My question is--how can I still feed heavily and not go broke on Cyclopeez?

Has anyone tried grinding up some clams, shrimp, etc and frozen it to make their own food? Does anyone know the protein content of our food quality uncooked seafood?

Any happy results?

PE Mysis has VERY little water content, it is i believe less than 5% of the whole packaged weight, compared to Hikari, which is closer to 40% if i remember correctly.

To grind up your own mix there are many ingredients. Here is a good one I made up, you'll need a blender and ice cube trays (or smaller than ice cube trays preferably)

Fresh Mussels, Fresh Shrimp, Fresh Squid, Fresh Anchovies, Nori (seaweed), DT's Oyster Eggs, Spirulina, Cyclopeeze, Various Flake Food, Vitachem, Selcon, Freshwater Cyclops, OR, you can just buy the mix frozen seafood bags found in most asian markets. its not that hard, but too messy for me to do lol

PE Mysis has VERY little water content, it is i believe less than 5% of the whole packaged weight, compared to Hikari, which is closer to 40% if i remember correctly.

To grind up your own mix there are many ingredients. Here is a good one I made up, you'll need a blender and ice cube trays (or smaller than ice cube trays preferably)

Fresh Mussels, Fresh Shrimp, Fresh Squid, Fresh Anchovies, Nori (seaweed), DT's Oyster Eggs, Spirulina, Cyclopeeze, Various Flake Food, Vitachem, Selcon, Freshwater Cyclops, OR, you can just buy the mix frozen seafood bags found in most asian markets. its not that hard, but too messy for me to do lol

that is what I do but I find that you should not make to much becuse the longer it stays in the freezer the more it degrades in quality.

if you have to ask, you're spending tooooo much... lol

Thanks for your thoughts guys--

I am bangin $10 every 2 weeks on Cyclopeez---and it just seems that along with the electricity, and the bags, and styro, and boxes, and tape, and rubberbands, and the water, that I should be able to save a buck here or there.

I thought there was some problem with defrosting and refreezing frozen foods. I thought it was "bad" to refreeze and eat defrosted frozen meats. Maybe I am just a freak with food safety???

You all know that I am gonna be takin pics of the nasty goo that I grind up once we settle on what I'm grindin.

that is what I do but I find that you should not make to much becuse the longer it stays in the freezer the more it degrades in quality.

Are you happy with the way things are growing? I mean I don't expect the tank walls to bulge or anything----but I never know if the "mass" of the food is what's going to spur growth.

See--I told you guys---I'm kinda learning as I go!

how bigs your tank... nano?? check your tank chem... a thing of cyclopeze(freeze dried) will last me months...2 weeks wholy shi*t. how much do you feed at once????

maybe im not feeding enough?

Fishfreak218

he has large frag tanks... to make his coral grow faster he feeds them alot more then most people would feed their coral in a display tank.

Also PE mysis is alot better then any other brand IME...

I would cram every brand of fish food you could find in their.... cant go wrong...

lol

I get nice growth out of every thing and I have a mixed tank (LPS,SPS,Softy's,Clams and fish) the mix is all I feed I found out about doing this from fenners book and off of this site Malevs food mix I used this as a frame for what I did and found that it is better to chop, crush , grind and mix separately so that differnt foods are differnt sizesand I used a sillicone ice tray.

I get nice growth out of every thing and I have a mixed tank (LPS,SPS,Softy's,Clams and fish) the mix is all I feed I found out about doing this from fenners book and off of this site Malevs food mix I used this as a frame for what I did and found that it is better to chop, crush , grind and mix separately so that differnt foods are differnt sizesand I used a sillicone ice tray.

Whoa--awesome link! Thanks!

I went to the Asian Market--they had frozen mixed seafood but it was all frosty--there was snow inside. I don't think that was the mark of freshness..... :)

I will probably just go to Whole Foods and buy some shrimp, scallops and stuff.

Your advice to grind everything separately is good advice---I hate when the food processor pulverizes some things and leaves big chunks of others.

I just bought another $7.99 sleeve of peez. (Props to ENraged to taught me "peez"!)

I am feeding about 50-75 micro and mixed acan frags!!!

sephroth_r1

not to mention the acros and everything that will ocasionaly grab the oyster eggs. dude, you have too much, i can hold extra corals for you. no problem, lol

Dude go to the grocery store to the seafood dept and buy a bunch of stuff...stick it in the blender and you have coral food...

Archived