inTank Media Baskets

Hammer vs. Frogspawn

JTrigger

Just wondering if you guys would enlighten me on the pros/cons of these corals and which you would choose and why (excluding the sweeper issue)?

Much appreciated!

coralreefengr

I have both in my tank. They are both Euphyllia. Frogspawn is Euphyllia Divisa and the Hammer is Euphyllia Glabrescens. They should have similar behaviors. I have mine rather close to each other, but they're doing OK.

I kept both. I got them as small frags. The frogspawn grew like a weed and thrived until a heater malfunction killed it. The hammer never grew much and slowly withered away and died for no apparent reason.

harbingerofthefish

yadda yadda, it comes down to aestetics. wht do you like the look of? they both act he same way. IMO I like spawns but I've seen hammers that are just beautiful.

In terms of frogspawn... I've seen some beautiful pics around showing the colors under actinics (green, pink), but I presume there are different frogspawns and not all frogspawns fluoresce given the same lighting conditions??? Just curious... I'm new at this... a friend of mine was at LFS and the he asked the owner why one frogspawn in one tank had such beautiful colors while another did not in a separate tank and the owner stated it was because of the lighting... he bought a frag and brought it home and it looks all pink under his actinic03/6500 pc setup?

harbingerofthefish

The frag of green/pink spawn I have is the same way. The pink tips are brighter under my light than the LFS but the green is paler. I run 2 50/50's (CSL and Catalina). I have seen a couple of really nice white spawns too, but I wanted the color in the tank.

I hear both of these are agressive...

I have both in my tank and am having a hard time placing them because they are getting bigger and bigger...

other corals I have in my tank are bubble and toadstool...

will these corals sting corals just by touching...or does it need to be more of an enveloping contact?

can a toadstools stalk withstand frogspawn? I can place the frogspawn so that is is touching the stalk but away from the head of the toadstool...

I am unfamiliar to AGRESSIVE corals and how much care I need in placing them

Thanks

MJ

Archived