Coral Vue Hydros

My red head goby

JJshiv

This little guy is awesome. Best nano-reef fish hands down. Hes small enough for just about any tank, is entertaining to watch, and doesnt require much food at all. He jumps all around on the live rock picking off a pod here and a pod there. I have lots of pods so he is gettin pretty fat. This is the first fish in my 5.5 gal.

103_0376_IMG.jpg

103_0377_IMG.jpg

103_0381_IMG.jpg

dang, he is small. i've got freshwater fish that take craps bigger than that guy. he's cool though. good luck with your new fish! (by the way, he's not strictly a pod eater is he? im not to familiar with this fish)

No hes not strictly a pod eater. Since Ive had him he has eaten everything. Flakes, macro algae, and brines. He goes nuts for the brines.

JJ

do you know a more specific or scientific name for him? And about how big is he, 3/4 of an inch? How much did he cost, i am sett up a second nano going to be a 2.5 and I need to decide on a fish.

C. Jerome

Their scientific name is Elacatinus puncticulatus. They are commonly called red head gobies and come from the eastern pacific along central and south america. I guess from Sea of Cortez is where they did the most collecting. This species is bread in captivity fairly easily though I guess so they are collected rarely if ever. Mine is about 3/4" and they reach a max of 1". From what I have seen, heard, and read they are hardy little fishes. In a big tank they may even become a cleaner just like neon gobies. Locally I have seen them for as cheap as $15 but I got mine for $22. Sounds like alot for such a small fish but it is well worth it if u ask me.

Thanks for the info, and he was a bit pricy, i got a striped clown goby for 5 bucks, i will have to look around my area and see what they are going for.

C. Jerome

The clown gobies go for about $10 here so ya things here are over priced. You should be able to find one for $10-$15. On liveaquaria.com they are $17.99.

Thats a great price. I would definitely jump all over that. I cant even imagine what a pair of these would act like. Just one is pretty cool but a pair would be twice the fun.

Archived