ReefCleaners.org

LFS has Mushroom Live Rock?

Irie Mon

My LFS is having a special on mushroom live rock. I'm a newbie getting ready to start with a RedSea Max 34G.

This rock looks as the name says,,, has small mushroom looking growth on it.

How does this rock compare to Tonga or Marshall rock? THANKS!

they are probably selling mushroom rocks, which are mushroom corals attached to rock- a normal way of seeing these corals sold. they aren't really corralate-able to buying live rock, the shrooms just come on the rock.

maybe that makes sense? :D

firefishbrain

yeah, what six said, they're just a type of coral (mushrooms0 that are growing on a hunk of live rock, you cuold use it for filtration, but i wouldn't put a rock with coral on it into a cyclying tank, you might want to wait until you add clean up. and as far as where the live rock comes from, it's basically for anestetics (spelling). all LIVE rock contains hitchikers, benificial bacteria, coralline algae, etc. basically where it comes from tells you what it looks like and how dense it is. ie tonga generally has a branchy look and figi rock is know to be very porous.

Hope this helps a little too.

Nishant3789

how much is it? do they sell it by the lb? its probably lr from some tank that was being broken down and got sold to the lfs that was already encrusted with shrooms. sounds cool

Archived