SaltCritters.com

New 2.5 Up and Running

fish04

Hey here's my 2.5. Haven't had time to update my website so her it is. The pic is poor. It's a still shot from my webcam...which I also have to get time to add to my website. So far here's what I've got 5 Lbs Fiji, 2Lbs Branching Tonga. Three frags of xenia (already spreading), and some star polyps (doing well). The shrooms I added have died (see general discussion board for "melting shrooms"). I am running 1x13W 6500K lamp (I am planning on adding another 13W for actinics this week), a 25W heater, an over the back "economy" filter made by Whisper, and some crushed coral for substrate. I have NH3, NO2 and NO3's all at zero To start the tank I used 5lbs of rock and water from my 10, it sped up the cycling immensely. Just fighting through the normal diatom bloom at this time...if you couldn't tell from the beautiful brown coloring in the photo! The tonga rock is already showing some nice colors light green, pinks and purples (it was white last week). Oh and almost forgot...Dorothy the tiny yellow damsel...my son named it after Elmo's pet fish. Once things look less brown I'll get some good photos on my website. Let me know what you think.

Image009.jpg

Image010.jpg

Christopher Marks

Your welcome fish04! :)

It looks like your nano reef is moving along nicely.  I love the brown especially ;)  The yellow damsel does look very beautiful; it adds nice color to the tank since yellows are not as common.  Keep us updated with more photos!

Looks good! I think the Idea of a 2.5 gallon is pretty cool. I started a 2.5 gallon recently. I have pics posted in the memeber nano reff section. I just added a small scotter blenny, which I plan to transport to my 10 gallon project and two blue legged hermets. The live rock i got is outstanding. I have like sprouting everywhere. I have about 15 small fan worms, 3 diffrent color of coralline, calapura and macros. I think some sort of sponge, although it is very small and yesterday I noticed what I beleive to be xenia popping up thorggh the sand on some of my base rock.

I have a 27 watt 6500quad bulb and an 8 watt powerglo bulb. Since i upgraded the lighting stuff has been sprouting out everywhere.

here's to us 2.5er's!!

I jsut started mine 1.5 weeks ago and am struggling a little with it. It's my first time with reef tanks and i am not used to waiting for cycling to occur.

stats: 2.5all glass, rio 50, 9watt dual coral life mini might, 50watt htr, 3.5lbslr,1.5lbs ls, 2 scarlet legs, 1 estrea snail, and some dead coral pcs.

got any suggestions?

Honestly, I think I may go to a 5 or 7 gallon. It won't cost me much to build a new canopy, plus I need more light, and I can't fit it in the 2.5 canopy. I use a 6400K bulb and I am having big problems with everything being brown! I think this is mainly because of the water parameters fluctuating due to evaporation, and I need some blue spectrum lighting. When you only have about 1.7 gal in your water column it's hard to keep it stable.

The idea I have for the five is an enclosed "cabinet". I want to incorporate the canopy with the base and have the only viewable side be the front. I have got the dimensions all laid out, I just have to get some time to do the wood working.

Good Luck on your 2.5 though! I commend you if you have the patience...I don't!

I have to admit I amstarting to have a small problem with temperature. The first three weeks I had no problem with keeping the temp at a constant 77 to 79 degrees. I want using a heater, the heat from the pc's and the computer fan I was using was keeping everything balanced.  Twive last week the pc's didnt come on with the timer. So the tank dropped back to 74 degrees. I think the temperature flucuations are causing some algea growth.

On the positive side, I have some massive growth of what I beleive to be macro algea. I plan to take pictures this weekend and post them.  

My water parameters are great, all parameters are as follows

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitate 0 after weekly water change, 5 to 10 before weekly water change

phosphate 0

calcium 450

ph 8.3

I like your 2.5, get some clove polyps they are great and tough imo. I hav also had very good results from my ricordea, very tough and pretty. how much sand did you have in there?

brandon429

Archived