Coral Vue Hydros

DOSING

wheresnemo

What do anyone use to dose if any for there aquariums? 40g and up please with a skimmer. I was looking at a few dosing options for SPS and LPS.

buy yourself some ESV bionic 2 part calcium/alkalinity follow the directions on the bottle, test your water, thats it

Chupacabras
buy yourself some ESV bionic 2 part calcium/alkalinity follow the directions on the bottle, test your water, thats it
That's it.

A way heavily stocked SPS tank may benefit from strontium, but I have serious reservations about dosing anything else if you maintain a semi-regular water change schedule.

I see so I am taking it that all the other supplements sold by KENT MARINE are just "gimme your money" type stuff.

Has anyone done force feedings? Do you just turn off your skimmer and let all the pumps run for an hour or so, and turn it back on?

Chupacabras

...Weeeeeell... Let's just say that the proof of those supplements doing any real good is nebulous at best (with a few exceptions).

I think using stuff like Kent's Zoo Plex, or Coral Vite or any of those "food" suppliments is benificial to a degree, but don't expect anything significant from using them. I definitely notice my corals feeding when I dose Zoo-Plex along with Cyclo-peeze and Reef-Roids, but they aren't growning any faster than they were before, they just look healthier and/or inflate larger. if there's one single most recommended food, it's either DT's Phyto or Reef-Roids.

I would say flat out... dont dose anything that you dont or cannot test for... simple as that. If you are testing Ca, Alk, pH, PO4, etc and they are not were they should be, then dose for those. Otherwise, dont add it.

Jesse

dont dose anything that you dont or cannot test

QFT

that said, I haven't dosed anything in over a year other than some baking soda every once in a while as my salt (Oceanic) is typically high in calcium and rather low in alkalinity.

QFT

that said, I haven't dosed anything in over a year other than some baking soda every once in a while as my salt (Oceanic) is typically high in calcium and rather low in alkalinity.

wow interesting. What does the baking soda do? I just need to know if I should stop dosing all the other things. I know Strotium helps with the coral growth but I do dose calcium and AK. and do the DT's dosing every other day for the corals. I have been getting good results but need to cut back because it's beginning to hurt the pocket. I want to be as minimal as possible and keep healthy corals.

Chupacabras
What does the baking soda do?
It's just a cheap way to increase your alkalinity.

I believe the consensus in this thread has been to get off of everything but two-part.

What are your measurements on that? If thats the case, I will just dose the reef complete and introduce the baking soda while I mix my salt.

I used to spend money on all the high priced foods like oyster eggs, zoo plex etc etc...The corals would show a response and my params would suffer....I never noticed any increase in growth when feeding though so I figured it was a waste of money and a little risky when it came to my params....

That bing said I just keep dosing the 2 part calcium/alk and my corals (especially my SPS) are growing like crazy! Getting high priced crazy color corals to grow really isnt the issue....The real issue is to try and get them to keep that crazy color...Especially with SPS

Archived