Cultivated Reef

Maroon Clown is in a bad way

drg0nzo1

Well i guess i asked for it...i put a Blenny in there a week ago without QTing it first. I am guessing he introduced some parasite to my tank....he was breathing rapidly...very lethargic and wouldn't eat. He was dead and stripped to bones by the hermits within the first week. Then my clown started acting the same way...i did a 5 gallon change last night, and am about to do another. After the first water change i thought he was looking a bit better...slightly more active.

He has been breating very rapidly for the past day and a half, won't eat, and is very lethargic as well. I have had an airline in there trying to get more oxygen in the water. And was going to do a freshwater dip first thing today...

But when i woke up i see him face down into the substrate...still moving his fins like they do when they are normally swimming...and breathing even more rapidly. From everything i have read i can only think this is a parasite...water params are fine, Coral, anenome, crabs and shrimp are all doing well. Does it sound like he is too far gone? Should i just put him out of his misery? I can't just sit here and watch him slowly die over the next 24 hours...or should i do a FW dip? Im just worried about him being in such bad shape it will kill him from the stess.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

allenspidey

I would try a formalin dip right away. Keep the air line in the bucket while the fish is in there. Formalin can deplete the oxygen. Keep him in there for at least 30 minutes. Honestly, he will probably die anyways. Good luck.

Archived