SaltCritters.com

Doe he look like he's getting sick?

flick

Hey guys,

I got my 2 clowns yesterda (Saterday March 17 i think it was) and they were healthy, both very active, and ate a ton lastnight, and this morning... They were swimming at the front of the tank kinda, and all of both the fishes fins were flared out...(They were not tucked in, they were just swimming great, and not clamping their fins). Anyways, i walked by the tank this afternoon, and the smallest, darker clown of the two, had his head shoved in the corner of the tank :o His dorsal (as i call it) fin wasn't expanded that much like it use to be... and i got worried?

I know clowns don't have to have their fins fanned out all the time, but it just worried me, and im wondering, is he getting sick? The other clown is doing awesome, swimming beside the smaller one, and his fins are still all fanned out... I took some pics, and a video (im waiting for youtube to dowload it) to show you guys to help me out! :) So, here are the pics:

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

See? Is it normal for a fishes 'dorsal' fin to not be expanded as much as he once did? And does he look like he getting sick to you?

If you wanted to know about my tank, it is is my signature. But a quick recap is its a 46g, has a cleaner shrimp, a bicolor angel, then the 2 clowns. Water params are fine last time i checked ( i will test again very soon).... i just did a safe (perfect salinity) water change on friday... and am feeding the fish frozen mysis and brine shrimp... None of the other fish or inhabitants look sick to me, and im not even sure if the small clown is. Im just being safe, and asking before if ie is sick, what i can do to help him ;)

***NOTE***

He is not getting picked on, bullied, harassed, and does not have any cuts, dots, or anything on him...

Thanks guys!

Flick :)

Hey!

So i just tested the water... and the params are as fallows:

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5.0

Ammonia: 0

Temp: 78*

ph: 8.4

Salinity: 1.023

So, it's my Nitrate thats high... :( I think im going to skip feeding tonight, and tomorrow until i can get new water tomorrow night around 5pm... Do you think that will help keep the Nitrate as low as possible until i get more water? I ran out friday :( This sucks!!! lol

I think he wil lbe fine, he's still healthy, no spots, still active, and chasing things that looks like food to him! :D So im glad i tested the water and caught this early! :D

Flick

the clown is fine. mine closes his fin like that all the time. they are just getting used to the tank still. he might hide in the corner a few days before he explores the rest of the tank.

I agree the clown is probably fine but you really should keep about 10 or so gallons of sw around since you don't have the ability to make your own as well as lots of fresh which i'm guessing you normally do do otherwise you'd have a rise in salinty with evaporation.

Ok thanks guys...

However i just looked at them again... and his right pectoral side fins got 3-5 very tini spots on it :(

Im not sure if they are macrobubbles... as my skimmer produces A LOT... or what. I think they are ich though :( As they look like they are in the skin, not on the surface :( He was swimming around to other side of tank with Marlin (bigger clown) but then once he got back to the same area seen in pics, he became not as active, and thats when i could see the teeny tini spots :(

Im going out tomorrow around 5pm to get new water, and i'll do a water change. How much do you think i should do? Is 5g a good amount? (i only have 5, 1 gallon buckets)...

Any advice guys!!! Lets get this ich as early as posible!! !Please give suggestions!!!

Flick

ps- You cant even see them unless you put your face an inch from glass... and he's still going for things that look like food... he also active still as he will swim to other side of tank randomly with Marlin sometimes... but other than that, all his fins are now semi clamped, but not that tight, against his body... What should i do?!?!?!?

Flick

Hey!

I got home from school, and he is doing much better! :D I dont see the spots on his pec fin anymore! :D And he was out swimming more, with his fins fanned out! :D

Either way, he is the video of the clowns i took yesterday! Enjoy it! lol

Flick :)

hahahah! :P

I just dont want to loose them! :( I did a 5g WC tonight... and i made the salinity 1.026-1.027 :o But i ran out of water again! :( Will they be fine in that until i get more water tomorrow night?

Flick

Thats a little high but i don't think they will have any problems.

Seriously flick get an RO unit, or be prepared for daily if not twice daily trips for more RO. also have you tested the source where you're getting this water? Drinking RO is not always 0 TDS. I guess with weak lights you aren't losing much to evaporation but are you doing daily top offs to maintain water level and salinity?

PS its a wonder you even sleep at night.

i thought about that....

Im going to look for a good used one off aquariumpros and pnaquaria... You are right... might as well?

haha i do sleep! It takes me a while though :( Im a contact thinker though... i always have something planned out, or have a new idea, or new worry to think about! ;) lol

Kirby

Archived