Pod Your Reef

Boxing/Pom Pom Crab

Pet-Lover

Do Boxing crabs use their anemone one their claws to sting corals or sting other anemones? or should they be fine in a reef aquarium?

or is it just a risk that they might eventually.

triggerfreak

They are used for protection only when something is attacking them. Other than that they use them for gathering food. They will be fine in any type of reef.

Clownfishcrazy1117
I jsut read a little about pom poms and they are AWESOME lol. Carrying around little anemones lol.

They actually only carry clippings that eventually die and fall off, and then they have to take some more clippings from an anemone.

They actually only carry clippings that eventually die and fall off, and then they have to take some more clippings from an anemone.

the anemone actually grows being the crab also feeds it. That's how if your crab comes with one pom pom, it's able to get a 2nd one because the one it currently has grows too big and it splits it to make a 2nd one.

• 4 weeks later...

Really? I read that normally once they lose their anemone they pretty much wont get it back unless you supply them with small anemones (not practical) BUT I did notice that my boxing crab all of a sudden is walking around with a white thing in his claw (Don't think he had anemones when I got him) and my little anemone is white.....hhhmmmm. That's pretty interesting. I'm looking for him now to see if he is still holding onto it but of course now I can't find him.

Archived