Top Shelf Aquatics

Black hermits?

punk-o-rama

punk-o-rama

I have 2 small blue legged hermits in my 6g and for some reason they have turned black except for their antennae. They are moving around and generally acting normally but for some reason their legs have turned black. Any help is much appreciated. :huh:

I have 2 small blue legged hermits in my 6g and for some reason they have turned black except for their antennae. They are moving around and generally acting normally but for some reason their legs have turned black. Any help is much appreciated. :huh:

Help with what? Post a pic so we can see, is there any chance that they're just a different variety of hermit than the rest?

punk-o-rama

post-24586-1174392886_thumb.jpgpost-24586-1174392931_thumb.jpg

Help with what?

Im just trying to establish why they have gone black and any possible causes for this. My params were fine yesterday i'll check again tomorrow and ill post some pics although my camera sucks especially the macro mode and i don't really wanna fork out $1500 for a digital slr and another $500 for a macro lense. Hopefully my dad will in the near future.

is there any chance that they're just a different variety of hermit than the rest?

i dont think they would be because the guy in the shop said they were dwarf blue legged hermits and when i got them they were blue for about a week or two until like last week. Are there any other species which may do this??

snowlancer2720

they look like dwarf blue legs to me, i have a bunch, and they all look like that, you can definately see the blue in the second pic

In land hermit crabs, colors can become duller when a molt is due. Intensity of coloration acquired after a molt can also be partially dictated by diet, at least among Carribean land hermits. That's all I know on the subject. ;)

Archived