SaltCritters.com

newborn minibow

deezreef

just passed through petco and i couldn't pass up the $50 minibow. i'm going without a skimmer so no fish for me. it's about 5 hrs old and already doing better than expected. the refugium is an eclipse 2g with only live sand and a bundle of chaetomorpha. i used sand and water from the 20. also added some frags from the 20. hope you like.

hey jim27 thanks. the lighting is a single 150 de 10k, which i plan to change to a radium. the 10k is a little too yellow for me. here's my most recent pic of the 20...

flatback

At five hours my tank was a cloudy mess. What little could be seen looked like a barren wasteland. Sadly, not much has changed.

The 20 gallon is gorgeous.

thanks 2d... i'm keeping my fingers crossed on the minibow (yet another impulse buy). the water in my 20 stays pretty sterile, so i'm hoping the algae doesn't pop up in minibow. i don't want to go through the cyano headache i went through during the early stages of the 10 flatback.

NO OFFENSE but........ creating a cool tank in 5 hours that looks as good as that takes the biscuit.....

The small algae bloom that may of happened (new tank) hasent even caught up :)

BRAVO :)

r*frost* lets hope it never does catch up... here's some more pic for you guys...enjoy. thanks again for the positive comments.

I have to agree with R Frost. Setting up a tank in 5 hours shows no dedication or self control.

You will be in for a rude awakening.

Good luck.

no dedication or self control??? i'm not in the business of killing animals, nor do i advocate anyone recklessly starting a tank with no knowledge of their requirements. i also don't want to give the impression to anyone starting out that you can fully stock a tank right from the getgo. i will be experiencing no "cycle" as all the rock, sand and 2/3 the water came from a very well established tank and was carefully set up so as not to disturb the "animals". yes the tank was an impulse buy but the method of setup was not.

Thats fine. However, your conveying to the "general" public that getting rocks, water and sand from an established tank and setting up a new tank with it - cuts out a step. A step they don't have to do now and its one step closer to packing the tank full of corals.

Please don't take my post the wrong way :P You must understand that if some joe blow comes along and reads your post, he is going to be missinformed.

A cycle is a very important part of any setup. Since you disturbed your sand bed by taking some out and moving some into a new tank, both of your tanks will now experience a cycle.

Good Luck

Looking great Deezreef.

I just loved the small 10G you had.

I liked it so much I even saved a few pics of it. Heres a reminder.

10gfull.jpg

I know you are quite aware of what you are doing deezreef.

The new tank looks very nice. The clam is awesome!

And those purple and red montiporas look awesome. I am setting up a large reef tank at the moment and would really like some nice montiporas like that.

Hmmm...Hope by the time I am ready to buy corals for my new setup I can find some here in the UK.

Well, Deezreef, keep up the good work dude. :)

wow sahin...brings back some good memories. i wish i would've kept that tank going. i do regret breaking it down. everything seemed to love that tank, though the 20g project is starting to really take off. i hope your new tank goes well. i'm sure you'll have no problem finding corals, you have a good start with the tank you have.

thanks prefect. the 20 hmmm...250 10k de w/ 55w actinic, remora skimmer w/ maxi 1200, maxi 900 and 1200 for circ. i dose kalkwasser, 1/8th teaspoon along with liter of water dumped in the tank. thats about it. here's a recent shot.

Archived