Pod Your Reef

Has anyone used FWE on a aquapod? How'd you do it?

Candi_MI

I have a few reddish flatworms in my 24g aquapod, I do have a 6 line but she's not doing a great job... there aren't that many but I'd rather it not get out of hand. I just ordered FWE to use in my 50g (where they originally came from, I got some LR from a fellow reefer not knowing it was infested, then mistakenly transfered a coral with them to the aquapod from the 50g before I knew what they were) anyways... for the big tank I'm doing a complete tear down as I need to remove scratches from the acrylic and replace CC with sand... so I will treat the LR in a seperate container away from my fish and I'm not concerned about toxins released as they die.

In the aquapod though I'd have to treat with my corals & fish in the tank, I don't have a canister filter so the advice to fill one with carbon and use it after treating is out, I was thinking maybe add the FWE and then after "x" amount of time do a 50% or abou 12-15g water change and then toss some carbon in the back of the tank?

The Propagator

Take out your carbon and filter pads. Turn off your skimmer for the 1st 30 minutes.

Put 1 drop per gallon in for EACH gallon of SW.

Sit back and watch for 30 minutes. If after the 1st 30-45 minutes you dont see flat worms pealing up off of stuff and floating away add roughly 1/4 of the amont of flay worm Exit you just put in the tank. I fthat dosent do it add 1/4 more but NO MORE.

Then turn the skimmer back on.

After about 2 -3 hours place FRESH carbn and filter pads back in the filter, then let it run for another 2-3 hours and replace both the carbon and the filter pads again with fresh.

Thats how I do it wen I get'em, and it works.

The amount of dosage per gallon is the same no mater what size tank you have. ;)

I'd setup a QT tank to put your fish for this treatment a friend of mine lost some snails and fish to this treatment, even the corals didn't like it very much but they all bounced back. that was in a 240g It's not the chemical that gives the livestock trouble it's the worms turning inside out and releasing toxins into the water that does it. It all depends how many of these things are really in your tank.

I treated my 24g AP a couple of months back. Followed basically what you have in mind. first, I removed as many as I could see and then dosed 50% of the recommended. Let ran only one powerhead to make sure it was evenly distributed. Let the tank sit for 30-45 min as the flatworms started to die off almost immediately. Afterwards, changed out 1/3 of the water and ran some carbon. I hade to administer another dose about a week later, this time about 1.5x the recommended to rid the stragglers. Good luck and I think the key is to keep an eye on the tank throughout the treatment.

Archived