ReefCleaners.org

sps- is it possible

tufty711

this is not nessercerily confined to nanos but has anyone kept sps under anyl ighting apart from metal halide for a long time and has it coloured up, or grown alot.

pictures as proof

cheers

ps. i am experimenting with 2 monti frags under t5s

I've kept sps under pc's, just monitpora and pocillipora, they do keep some color, but they do not grow anywhere near as fast as in the main tank under 400w haldies.

Course that's a given. L8r mega

Originally posted by Korbin

Yuck.  What's ighting?:|

that's anyl ighting. It's a condition where a bulb gofer holes out of your rectal cavity and the lumines emitted are generall enough to grow fungus and spores but rarely can one grow sps corals in your underwear.

As for the sps under any lighting question, brooklyn johnny has the pics to show you. Insane sps growth under pc lighting. I have had success with sps under pc's (check old tank photos in member section) and I am currently running my tank without the halides while I rid myself of the caulerpa and hair growth. Corals seem to be ok so far with just 36 watts of actinic over them. Only been a few days tho so time will tell.

It can be done. Montipora will do fine, as will pocillopora. Acros might be a bit tougher but I pulled it off, others have and Brooklyn has an insanely beautiful tank filled with acros and other sps (and clams too dammit). I think the main problem that people have is the water conditions and they blame the lighting.

Brooklyn Johnny

Crakeur said it. The bottom line is YES it's possible under PCs. NO the growth or insane color won't be what it is under halides, but you could get very nice growth and STILL AWESOME colors with PCs. Too many people fail and then just blame it on lighting when there are a hundred other very important things overlooked. Don't say it's impossible. Follow the link from the nano-reef home page to my tank and you'll see healthy sps colonies, including the night pics showing polyp extension. THIS IS NOT FOR THE BEGINNER, but yes yes yes for the last time it's possible :P Thanks Crak BTW...

Archived