ReefCleaners.org

Killer sponges?

Pinner Reef

Pinner Reef

I'm a bit worried about a frag of zoas in my tank. They havn't opened for a couple of days and the only noticable difference is that a sponge has begun to overtake the frag.

I was kinda under the impression that zoas could take a sponge (mainly because the frag next to it has 4-5 zoas that are nearly drowning in a different type of sponge yet still open daily).

So I did a FW dip just before heading to work tonight (let ya know how it goes).

Just a few pods suffered as a result; no nudis or worms.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard/seen of this type of situation before.

I'm really worried because this sponge type grows everywhere there is shade in my tank.

Here's a pic with a tube of the sponge indicated. Also are a couple of pics of the type of sponge I'm talking about.

untitled.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

-pinner

Pinner Reef

Sigh no love huh :huh:

Oh well, for future reference it looks like the FW dip did the trick. Several of the previously closed zoas have started "peeking". The sponge is not visible anymore either.

On a side note I've decided I dislike the sponges... they seem to be chocking off a mushroom in the tank too. Gonna have to get a toothbrush in there or something and manually remove the stuff.

-pinner

sponges got no nervous systems. they're like a mass of growing blob. I'd superglue over them, expose that part to air, heat, or kalkwasser.

Ive tried to kalkwasser zoas before but they're pretty resilient. damn mucus layer

Good to know Pinner...

Ive got some nice yellow sponge like that and some brown elongated...give me a

problem...fresh water bath for YOU!!!!

Izzue

if your tank grows sponges well, maybe you should think about changing what youre doing instead of investing all this time to kill it. JMO

Pinner Reef

You know I really don't know how I do it. If anything i'm a pretty crappy aquarist... Knowing my luck if I decided to embrace the sponges, I'd no longer be sponge worthy :lol:

-pinner

I have that exact same spone on my protopalythoas, it doesn't do any visible harm and is currently being eaten by them as the current is too strong, and it gets eaten if it drifts into their mouths. It does look pretty ugly but mine doesn't spread at all, it is slowly being decimated by an angry cleaner shrimp as we speak lol.

Archived