Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Uhuru's 5g CADlights pico reef

Uhuru

New shots! I entered this photo in the cadlights contest today. voting is tomorrow! too bad I'm dealing with a minor hair algae problem right now. I believe it started witih some chaeto die off in my fuge, releasing PO4 into the water and boom hair algae has food to eat. I increased the flow to over 100x's turnover with the koralia 1 to further help keep crap from settling and decomposing in the tank, why else would you go BB if not for this benefit?

DSCN2002.jpg

not so long ago all I had was this:

DSCN1823.jpg

sexy sexy sexy

DSCN2047.jpg

new growth shots

DSCN2047_acro.jpg

DSCN2040.jpg

DSCN2031.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

and I actually have a fish, a wonderful yellow tail damsel, the fish everyone considers disposable is the center piece of my tank - "the stone that the builder refuse shall always be the head corner stone" (or something like that)

DSCN2033.jpg

oh we can't forget the zoo love and rpe love

DSCN2013.jpg

thanks! the 70g will not be as crowded. I love the overcrowded look but I also love the open space look. I want the 70g to have more room for fish to swim, and corals to grow. With this tank it's extremely difficult to get in there and do anything without knocking something over, including siphoning out the dirt on the bottom.

Anuanu Humu
more pics!

DSCN1906.jpg

Do you have an ID for this coral? I had a frag given to me and I havent been able to id it.

That is a leather coral (green finger), it's twice that size now at least! Mine seems to like the high flow and strong light, though I don't know if that is the norm for them.

cannonball68

nice pics, i will definitely vote for you! hahaha. i think there might be more ppl entering their contest because they are extending the voting date till July.

good luck! there are some HOT looking reef tanks in the Cadlights contest, did you see the one from Rekk? man that is one of the most beautiful SPS and LPS mixed tanks i have seen.

nice pics, i will definitely vote for you! hahaha. i think there might be more ppl entering their contest because they are extending the voting date till July.

good luck! there are some HOT looking reef tanks in the Cadlights contest, did you see the one from Rekk? man that is one of the most beautiful SPS and LPS mixed tanks i have seen.

Definitely. Rekk's tank gets my vote. He captured that xenia with the clowns perfectly.

Well over the past couple of weeks I've had some issues with my tank. First the macroaglae started dying and releasing nutrients back into the tank. This caused an algae outbreak in my main tank. So I cleaned out my fuge, and couldn't believe all the crap that had piled up under the LR and within the chaeto. This is just a very small portion of it:

DSCN2056.jpg

That's mostly dead chaeto and all the detritus that it had trapped. Having chaeto in your fuge is like having filter floss. If you don't clean it regularly (bad me!!) it's like having a dirty filter pad in your tank all the time.

So then I restored the fuge to just a few small pieces of LR rubble and a tiny bit of caulerpa (the caulerpa was just temporary to help soak up nitrates and phosphates from the dead chaeto). I came home and found that the MJ900 which pumps water to the fuge died on me. I never knew how TOXIC even a few pieces of LR and a tiny piece of caulerpa could be. The water turned milky white, the pH had risen to 9.2 and going up! This happened so quick it was crazy. I liken it to the signaling cascades we have between our own cells, it's amazing. I'm so glad the water from the fuge had no way of getting to the main tank! I decided to do away with having a fuge at all and turned my CPR aquafuge into a "HOB sump."

DSCN2068.jpg

While I was at it I did some rearranging of corals and also took some more shots! I think my photo skills are improving a bit even with this cheap camera. I haven't done any photo corrections.

I epoxied this one to the back wall, it's such a fast grower the branches are already starting to curve upwards towards the light.

DSCN2071.jpg

Some wannabe macro shots:

DSCN2064.jpg

I love the way this one is growing. I got it for free and it was all brown, now it's starting to get pink and green tips:

DSCN2063.jpg

Here's the tank still recovering from a GHA and BA outbreak, but it's showing a lot of improvement believe it or not. I added a stomatella, some hitchiker snail from the fuge, a hermit crab, and an additional pump (not seen) that sits on the bottom behind the rocks. So my tank has something crazy like +120x's turnover now. This is what we call FLOW:

DSCN2070.jpg

Archived