inTank Media Baskets

Frag masters

ENraged

I have seen one of those ring saws used when I do stained glass. You can cut all sorts of shapes. It is a lot like a small band saw, only smaller "blade" for tighter turns. Forward, backwards, rotate, even cut out letters. Coral skeleton can't be harder than glass. It would probably work great. Just wash the salt water off it and clean it when you are done.

cheers

dsoz :)

(wow! I finally had something to say in a conversation with some of the "legends" of NR!) :)

LOL! Sounds like you have the other half of the hands-on experience we need!

I saw the lower level model for $275 or something. You fill up the bottom container with your liquid and cut. I did see that they recommended it for all types of glass--they mentioned stained glass hobbyists.

You are correct about needing to rinse it off--saltwater has destroyed all of my tools. My wife asked for a tool box for Christmas!!!

Do you think I would use saltwater as the cutting/cooling fluid? Or if I used clean FW as to not destroy the inner mechanism, would the FW hurt the coral I was cutting?

Micros are tiny--I mean tiny--- Do you see that some of those multi-polyped heads are on a small frag plug? The divisions are hair thin---

ENraged---I am gonna say that second pic you posted (the craptacular one...) is a lord---I think anyway....

LOL! Sounds like you have the other half of the hands-on experience we need!

I saw the lower level model for $275 or something. You fill up the bottom container with your liquid and cut. I did see that they recommended it for all types of glass--they mentioned stained glass hobbyists.

You are correct about needing to rinse it off--saltwater has destroyed all of my tools. My wife asked for a tool box for Christmas!!!

Do you think I would use saltwater as the cutting/cooling fluid? Or if I used clean FW as to not destroy the inner mechanism, would the FW hurt the coral I was cutting?

Micros are tiny--I mean tiny--- Do you see that some of those multi-polyped heads are on a small frag plug? The divisions are hair thin---

ENraged---I am gonna say that second pic you posted (the craptacular one...) is a lord---I think anyway....

I think the ring-saws have about a 1/8" cut width. I don't have one, but drool whenever I go into the glass store. All I have is an edge grinder... :(

Maybe the diamond wheels on the dremmel will give a "cleaner" cut. IDK- I just got my dremmel two weeks ago, and have not had a chance to use it -YET- !

As to cooling fluid, those things are built to be used wet. I don't see how a little salt water can hurt it as long as it gets rinsed out EVERY TIME.

Hope this helps you decide if you want a ring-saw.

(I still can't believe that I am chatting with the preparation H robot dude. I am almost ready to call my wife over to show her... her response- 'yawn' what dear??) lol!

LOL!

Get that dremel grindin!!

I will try and show some pics of ones I have done---with size comparisons to try and get some advice.

I guess I am doing alright with the dremel---but I sooo love to get new toys.

the dremel will grind when I have something to grind... My LR is only 1 week old in my tank. Still cycling. I'll get out the dremel to "clean up" some of the LR when I am ready to do some serious aquascaping. I don't want to hyjack someone else's post any more. Maybe this weekend I'll start my own tank story thread. :)

fraggle rockette

my dremel tool= :wub:

(i need to practice more self control, or i'll only have little rocks after a while!!! :haha:)

I'd guess that's a lord with the size of the polyps relative to the plug.

I've been hacking away at some of mine with diamond wheels on the dremel. It's not as precise (micros are tiny), but works.

tell you what that is the slowest growing coral in my tank rite now!!

I received that one in January and it is just now making power moves on splitting.

the second mouth didn't appear till late last month

tell you what that is the slowest growing coral in my tank rite now!!

I received that one in January and it is just now making power moves on splitting.

the second mouth didn't appear till late last month

they r slow growers. feed it it will help. i say lord also

I had the seller name wrong! I have been using these for about a year---

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-DIAMOND-CUT-OFF-WHEE...tem260095717299

The seller ships like lightening---I will probably have them on Saturday.

I change them depending on the amount of coral I cut with them. I've never had one get dull---and I've only probably used 10 in the last year. You should see how many corals I cut with one. They are one of the few good values still out there. Even better if you can get them for 6.99 on the auction instead of 8.99 using buy it now..... I hate to wait.....

Great link Mvite. Those are awesome prices.

As far as micros go, they heal and grow pretty fast in my experience. you're could be one, but you cant tell from that frag.

Archived