Top Shelf Aquatics

Building a 20x20x12 rimless cube.

Withers

Geez Vic, how do you owe them that much?

probably made too much money without having a wife, kids, or house

oh, and nano-paul, don't worry, you'll be hearing from me shortly... i need low iron glass!!!

Geez Vic, how do you owe them that much?

Stock sales :rolleyes: You'd sell too if you had a stock that you bought for $45 a share and was selling for $360.

probably made too much money without having a wife, kids, or house

Haha, close. I sold the stock to put a downpayment on a townhouse. I'm trying to wiggle my out of this, but I'm about out of ideas.

I just built a PVC one like you just suggesteed with 1 1/4 inch, its 6 feet tall and I have a Lumen max 2 reflector on the way, im gonna see how rigid it feels if not I will use metal

BTW i really cant see how a 1 1/4 in PVC would fail i just want to see how much it will bend, the light wont be pointing at it so heat really wont be an issue

Yep, would have sold the pizz out of it!! :lol: I actually have some 2 x 2 tube here also. If I can find some I would about give it to you. Its a clear anodized finish and looks super nice. It would make a good stand to hang that light from ;)

We might be on to something with this, lol. I didn't show it in the picture because of my lack of mad skillz with sketchup, but I intended to bend the pipe at a gradual 90 degree angle in order to mount the MH.

If anybody tries this sort of setup definitely post some pics here, I want to know how it turns out.

I used a 90 elbow and then extended a straight piece from that and put some eye hooks in it, I just painted it black and its drying i got some small black chains to hang the fixture from , well see how sturdy it is in a few hours

Hey Vic,

I've got a 20x20x12 "short" cube too and it's a great sized tank. I went with euro-bracing around the top though, peace of mind against warping and a place for me to have return nozzles/tubing attached to. Also allows me to sit my 20" Sunpod on there with ease.

Supernip was right though, draw out the footprint you are thinking of and imagine it to the height you want (or, if you're really psycho, build the shape out of cardboard). I toyed with a lot of dimensions but the 20x20 footprint leaves ample room for rockwork/sandbed/etc. and the 12 height allows for great light penetration and looks well with the length and depth proportionally. Plus, when you get your stand built, a standard 10 gallon tank should fit under there for a cheap sump.

I'm going to try to remember to bring home the camera from the lab one of these days and get around to posting a pic of my tank so you can see what I'm talking about.

Good luck hanging your MH!

-Dan

Hey Vic,

Check with a local muffler shop. They will probably cut some nice galv. pipe to length and bend it to your specs. HTH.

Good luck with the taxes. We decided to hire a CPA this year. She is my new hero.

*sigh* I AM a CPA, lol. First year though.

The muffler idea is great though. I'll have to see what kind of price they could give me.

Archived