ReefCleaners.org

Clarification of Nudibranchs

Seanfg89

Sometimes when I go in my LFS, they have a few small (peanut sized) Nudibranchs. They are usually either Chromodoris magnifica or Chromodoris quadricolor but sometimes they have some other various and very colorful species. Now all I've ever heard about Nudibranchs is that they either eat Zoos or that they will release toxins into your tank and effectively kill everything. I don't doubt that they are poisonous but the other day, I was watching a program on Discovery HD and it had a segment on Nudibranchs. In the show (Blue Realm), it stated that Nudibranchs obtain their toxins from eating other invertebrates such as sponges, hydroids, and anemones, and then store these toxins in their cerata (branches on the back).

So then my question is, when they release toxins because of stress or death in the home aquarium, are they releasing these toxins that they have taken from other animals and stored for later useand defense, or are they releasing some other toxin or substance (like when sea cucumbers spit out their guts) that they produce themselves?

Does it matter? Nudis aren't really appropriate for the home aquarium. I don't really know why nudis are poisinous when they die or get stressed, but know that regardless they will die or get stressed and spew junk. The Nudis you see in the fish store are not the ones that eat softies and zoas though. The destructive ones are much smaller, not as pretty, and can quickly wreak havoc on zoas. So either way hitch hikers (zoa eaters) or store bought (pretty but poison spewing machines that usually have a short life span in home aquariums) you are in trouble.

Does it matter? Nudis aren't really appropriate for the home aquarium. I don't really know why nudis are poisinous when they die or get stressed, but know that regardless they will die or get stressed and spew junk. The Nudis you see in the fish store are not the ones that eat softies and zoas though. The destructive ones are much smaller, not as pretty, and can quickly wreak havoc on zoas. So either way hitch hikers (zoa eaters) or store bought (pretty but poison spewing machines that usually have a short life span in home aquariums) you are in trouble.

I find the first part of your reply to be quite hostile and unecessary. Never once in my original question did I say that I wanted to purchase one, so stop assuming so. I was simply trying to get some clarification as to exactly what part of them causes the poisoning of a home aquarium.

hmmm, i didn't mean it to be hostile and didn't assume you wanted one, so stop your assuming becuase is makes an ASS out of U and ME. You asked where they (toxins) came from. You already know the answer, they come from what they eat, but the fact still remains it doesn't really matter.

Here, as further follow up http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nudispt3.htm

I did not already know the answer. My question was, what is it that they release that ends up killing everything in the home aquarium, the stored toxins taken from other animals, or toxins they themselves produce. Why in the hell would I ask a question I already know the answer to? I see some places that says that some species can produce noxious chemicals from glands under their skin, but I don't know if its those chemicals that they end up releasing into the water or if they "eject" the toxins they have stored up from other animals.

If I really do have it all wrong and you are correct in saying that it doesn't matter, then please explain to me why it doesn't matter. If someone asks how a protein skimmer works, would you then say "doesn't matter" how it works, just that it works?

Archived