inTank Media Baskets

My First Nano

Kassun

I am new to nano's. I have a:

- Mini 7 gal bowed

- Penguin Bio-Wheel Mini

- 75Watt htr

I want a natural reef. So I think I need to get in addition to what i already have; a good powerhead, 2 to 3 inches of live sand, and about 5lb of live rock. I'm not sure about what lighting to go with.

To up keep I believe I will have to do a 10 to 15% water change weekly.  I have read a ton of info and here is what I think I need to get up and running. I'm not sure what inverts to get. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer. Also if I have left any thing out pls give me an idea on what it will cost.

Thanks,

Kassun

printerdown01

Everything looks good!! Nice research... but I have the same question as NanoReefer53 and that is lights?  This is probably the most debated thing in nanos!  I'm not that familiar with 7 gallon tanks... What are the dimentions (for suggestions about lighting)?

Thanks for the feedback. Here is what I decided to go with;

11 gal Via-Aqua w/2x13 PC's

Rio 180

Ebo Jager 50w

20 lbs of LS

12lbs of LR

My water has been mixing now for 14hrs so i am getting close to setting up. wooohooo  :)

I'll post some pics in a few days.

printerdown01

Make sure you watch the temp at night, with the smaller heater... BlueHorseShoe is changing over to a 75W from a 50W 'cause it is having problems maintaining temp at night in her 7 gallon... Her post is under the topic "1st try on 2nd nano." Might want to check it out. Everything else looks great (and you might be JUST FINE with a 50W)!

• 2 weeks later...

And how... I have a 100w on my 12 gal. Don't worry if you already got that puny little heater wet already. It comes in handy in a five gallon bucket (along w. a small powerhead) for mixing your water. This is a great way to change your water in a way that doesn't stress the livestock, which is ideal since this procedure is performed on a weekly basis.

It probably depends what your room temps are. Someone posted and said their house temps dropped down to 60 at night. Brrrrr!

I am in Texas and hate being cold. My place never goes below 70 at night. I have a 15 gallon tank with a 50w Ebo Jaeger and it works great. I keep the tank at 78 degrees.

So before you chuck it consider your life style (Lizard or Polar Bear... )

I have found any mushroom corallimorph, ricordea, rhodactis (hairy muchroom) and green star polyps EASY to keep in a nano with a little actinics and good (consistent) Ca levels.  when I was getting some pretty blatant chemical fluctuations (my tiny tank is hard to dose) the mushrooms and others listed here never lost strength when other corals did. Regular brown/purple mushrooms are the hardiest marine animals (coral) I can think of off hand.

I do believe iodine dosing has helped my mushrooms along with the Ca/Sr mixture I am using. aragamilk is nice because it also buffers.  Which is kida conflicting because I thought you werent supposed to add Ca along with or directly mix with carbonate supplements??? maybe this is magic milk.

Archived