Coral Vue Hydros

Is this a heater problem?

jdsabin1

I have a new Ebo 100 watt for my 12 gallon. Tank has two powerheads, 19 lbs of live rock, some livestock and misc corals.

I have the temp set at 80 degrees. The tank has stayed at roughly 80 degrees the last few days but with this stupid Iowa spring weather, yesterday we had a high of 65ish and it got cold last night (low 40's). When I came in my study this morning the tank was down to 77.4 which is quite a stretch from 80, and the heater light was not on. To test I turned the ebo dial from 80 to 84 and then back down to 80 and the heater light came on and started to heat the water. When I left for work the temp was at 78.6 or so but the heater light was off again. We didn't have the heat on last night and the temp in my study was 67 degrees this morning but I am sure got considerably colder than that during the night.

1) Would ambient temp in the room (my guess is it probably got down to around 60ish) create a situation where the heater could not maintain 80? If so, why wasn' t the heater on regardless this morning?

2) For you ebo owners, when I turn the blue dial, there is no 'click' as the manual would indicate. Does the temp dial actually click per se when you turn it? If it does, perhaps I do have a dud.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

-Jeff

I can't answer question 1 for you, but as for question 2 - my Ebo heater doesn't click and seems to be keeping my temp at a constant 78 degrees.

Heaters obviously don't heat constantly, so If the heater turns on, it heats the water. Throughout the break period, the temp in the tank might adjust to the room temp. I'm not sure if heaters turn on when the temp drops or so... I doubt it.

Sounds like you got a bum heater. 100w is plenty for a 12g tank. The heater should turn on whenever the temp drops below where you set it. If you're set to 80F, and the tank temp is 78F, something is wrong. Take it back. I'd still go with an Ebo though, they're usually very reliable.

duckhuntboy

I agree with Satch. An ebo jager should keep the temperature within about 1 degree If it's powerful enough for your tank, which yours is.

Archived