ReefCleaners.org

Bookworm...where to get?

3twenty5

If you live in the northeast then you can get them at Lowe's. They're not called bookworms however. But they do have a 6500k 13 watt light in them.

As jojopussays Lowes carries them. They are located in the section of the store with the extension cords and worklights.

In one of the posts here or at RC there were some mail order sites listed...I just don't remember where.

The ones from paperdirect.com should be at my shipping address tonight...I'll let you know here and in the other thread since folks want to know. Can't wait to get my hands on 'em and see what's inside :P

Whoot! I got my Bookworms!

Here's the skinny: I got two Bayco bookworm lights with coil stand for 12.99 each, with 7.95 ground shipping (the least expensive). Now that I have the lights they bulbs on both of them are 6500 K and the lights are partially water sealed and very, very nice looking. These are the original Bookworm lights with the red endcaps and remote ballast, so heat should be less of an issue once they're in a hood. I likes 'em a lot.

Here's exactly what I ordered. Paperdirect has two different bookworm lights, and the only difference may be that one has a coil base and one has a clip-on base, but I don't know. For those wanting the 6500 K bulbs I know this model has them; can't say for sure on the other.

LGT005 Bookworm Light - Coil Stand

Hope this helps those of you that can't find these things locally. Paperdirect went seamlessly for me but I never had to call to harass them, so I can't speak for customer service.

One more thing...

The ballasts which are in the base of the powercord have a very slight buzz or hum to them when they're on. I'm pretty sure this is par for the course for this type of light but it's not too loud or bothersome. For a 13 buck light, I'm not going to whine. The powercord is 12 feet so you could probably technically put them in the next room :P

I got a Bayco bookworm 13 watt PC from Wal-Mart for 6.95. It was on sale at the time and if I had known that I could use it fro my tank I would've gotten 2 more.:*(

If you're looking at Lowe's, they're called "Rite-Lites" $19.95 and they have the ballast in the cord and 6500k bulbs. Plus, if you have any problems with them down the road......Lowes will take back just about anything!!!!

Archived