Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deionization and RO

thabo

I am looking at getting a Ro-man filter and looking at getting a 4 stage but I am unsure if I should get deionization as well. Any opinions?

There are people who use tap water and have great tanks. There are people who use tap water and have an algae farm.

RO mechanically removes ions and other things you don't want from the water based on particle size. So anything bigger than a water molecule gets filtered out. There are, however some ions, phosphate for example that are smaller than water molecules and will pass through the RO membrane just as easily as water.

A De-Ionizer uses the electrical charge of the ion to remove it from the water, as pure water has no charge. So IMO if you want really clean water get the DI. If mostly clean water is ok, use the RO only. If you feel lucky, you can use tap water after you condition it to remove the chlorine.

(For all the Chemist out there I know the above generalizations are not 100 % accurate and are used to express an idea only.)

There are people who use tap water and have great tanks. There are people who use tap water and have an algae farm.

RO mechanically removes ions and other things you don't want from the water based on particle size. So anything bigger than a water molecule gets filtered out. There are, however some ions, phosphate for example that are smaller than water molecules and will pass through the RO membrane just as easily as water.

A De-Ionizer uses the electrical charge of the ion to remove it from the water, as pure water has no charge. So IMO if you want really clean water get the DI. If mostly clean water is ok, use the RO only. If you feel lucky, you can use tap water after you condition it to remove the chlorine.

(For all the Chemist out there I know the above generalizations are not 100 % accurate and are used to express an idea only.)

Thanks for your reply. But what I want to know is if people feel it makes a difference to their tanks using DI or not. I am definitely not brave enough to only use tapwater in my reeftank. Tapwater works great in my planted tank though!

It's really a judgement call on your part.

I use RO/DI and don't have problems.

If you use RO only and have algae problems, people are going to tell you, you should use RO/DI.

I was just trying to say that you don't have to have RO/DI but I recommend it. That way you know you are starting with "pure" water.

The reason I went through that long explaination was to head off people from saying "I use tap water and my tank is great" after I recommend RO/DI.

It's up to you, but I say the DI is worth it...

It's really a judgement call on your part.

I use RO/DI and don't have problems.

If you use RO only and have algae problems, people are going to tell you, you should use RO/DI.

I was just trying to say that you don't have to have RO/DI but I recommend it. That way you know you are starting with "pure" water.

The reason I went through that long explaination was to head off people from saying "I use tap water and my tank is great" after I recommend RO/DI.

It's up to you, but I say the DI is worth it...

Thanks. I think you are right. I will probably get this one:

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.ph...;products_id=90

Archived