SaltCritters.com

Hairy Mushroom sick?

keri2000

Help, What is wrong with my hairy mushroom? It looked fine this afternoon and the water is testing fine. It looks like the white stuff is coming off. Do they shed?

0311072037ab.jpg

mine did that a while back..they looked like total crap for like 2-3weeks..they are finally better..not fully open yet but 80% better lookin and not white stuff and puffed up

it's spewing it's mesenterial filaments due to acclimation issues and stress. time will tell how it acclimates, and if it does.

Well, all of the white stuff is gone and the mushroom has opened up fully again. As the night went on, the white stuff kind of peeled off. I have had the mushroom for two months and nothing has changed. Must this always be due to stress?

When Six said acclimating stress, he probably means water quality and or light acclimation stress. Time will tell if your mushroom with do okay. Don't move it around to much and good luck.

no, i meant acclimation to a tank, but yeah, acclimation to other setting in the tank would cause the same issues.

they dont spew unless they are highly stressed or trying to eat something. mine dont ever "spew" to eat, you just see the filiments in their mouth. they may spew to attack tho.

IME it looks like it was just added right out of a shipping bag, that's how stressed it looks to me.

Thats terrible. I have actually had the mushroom for over two months and it has looked great all along. When I purchased it, I drip acclimated it and it opened right up.

It did close up like a balloon around a large piece of shrimp earlier in the evening (last night). Soon after it opened back up is when the white stuff appeared.

I haven't touched it in two months and I can't imagine what stress if any that it is feeling. My clown hosts in it. Could that be the cause of the stress? Like I said, the water parameters have been perfect for well over 2 months.

Today, it is opened up and large again, with its original beautiful coloration.

maybe it was looking for more food then. your shroom is a weirdo. i wouldnt worry about it now. from the photo, which is a snapshot of the animal's health,not a great indicator, it looked horrible, but if it came back, it must be alright.

got a pic of it today? i just want to see the back to back weirdness. :)

Whoa, that's a BIG shroom!! I had some hairy ones that would do the same thing though. Usually it's when they are stressed, maybe something brushed against or poked it.

hey guys, i have a few if these hairy mushrooms they look great but i didn't realize you could feed them, although i thought i saw what looked like a mouth in the middle of the biggest one. I have also noticed whenever i feed my fish the mushrooms all close up like a ballon, does this mean they are feeding on something?

SeeDemTails

I dont feed mine, I have green and red ones. The you that if you mess with them or if they get freaked out. Its a natural defense I guess.

Nothing to worry about.

Archived