Cultivated Reef

Ich Problem

MarkM

I'm having an ich problem with my new maroon clown. Just to give a brief history of my tank(12g Aquapod)...

A few months back, I had a pair of percula clowns, who I lost to ich. I had asked for help on the forums, but the clowns died before I could do anything. Then, I had a huge outbreak of cyano bacteria. There were no fish in my tank after the clowns died. Anyway, I tried everything, but the cyano just wouldnt go away. So my local fish store gave me red slime remover which took care of the cyano in two days. After that, I followed the instructions I got from my LFS and from people on the forums. I did many water changes, and about 5 weeks later(now), I decided to get fish again. The fish store hooked my up with a maroon clown and a royal gramma. Ive had the fish for two days and the maroon clown is now covered in white spots, and is not eating anything. The gramma seems fine. I really don't want to loose the maroon clown, so is there anything I can do to save him? I'm scared he will die if I dont act now. Thanks in advance!

IMO you need a larger tank. nano tanks arent for eveeryone and ich and cyano are controlable if you control the aquarium. it's easier to control a larger system.

water changes. when was the last one? how often do you do them? and whats your water quality?

for the cyano, add more water flow, use RODI water, modify a filter to use as a skimmer or add a skimmer. feed less or make sure the fish eat all the food you feed.

The clown may have been infested with ich from the store so this may not be your fault.

By allowing your tank to fallow for 5 weeks you should have broken the crypt cycle. I would take the clown out (not suitable for that tank anyway.. It may not have passed the protozoan on yet. They can only transmit the disease a few days of the cycle.

This is another reason why we research, and don't add two fish at the same time. Very risky for both. Call your LFS, tell you are ###ed and you want to bring it back. He should have a setup he can put the fish in or medicate it.

Failing that, do a QT and medicate it yourself.

IMO you need a larger tank. nano tanks arent for eveeryone and ich and cyano are controlable if you control the aquarium. it's easier to control a larger system.

I disagree with you, i feel smaller nano tanks are easier to maintain. I had a 7 gallon minibow for a year and its alot easier to manage and do waterchanges compared to a 72 gallon or 125 gallon.

In my 7 gallon i had a gs maroon and neon goby with no problems at all, only filtration was live rock and biweekly water changes.

My 72 bow on the other hand was a big headache and took a lot of prep to make water for water changes....

just my opinion.....

it's your opinion as to how much you like or dont like water changes, but that doesnt change the fact that larger volumes are more stable.

i agree idog.

Archived