Coral Vue Hydros

Question

XtremeSport

XtremeSport

So its been up for two months now. And I just got my first 3 frags. 1 with 7 little zoos, 1 with a bunch of dasiys, and one with 2 cap trees and 2 pulsing xiena. All for $15

Ok so my question is, I have a whisper HOB on the back, if i want to put some carbon in there can I just use the filter media that it comes with, or put reef carbon in a bag

Also, how often should I dose with Kent Calicum part A + B and ESV spray died photoplankton. Curently I am adding a few brine 2x a week

SeaMountain

Some add carbon, some don't. My tank doesn't incorporate an HOB. Just LR/LS. I did increase my water flow with a bigger PH though and it seems to have helped quite a bit.

I would ask this... Ar you having an ammonia or nitrite problem? What makes you believe you need carbon? Quite a few folks run an HOB w/o any media for the additional water flow. Plus. If needed. They can drop a media bag in it with PhosGuard or carbon or whatever needed.

As for dosing... Again I'm going 'au natural'. Using regular WC's to keep trace elements active. So maybe this will get you a better answer on that topic from a Doser. ;)

5 4 3 2 1 xtreme!!! B)

I think the carbon is a personal choice, if run 24/7 with carbon you can lose trace elements and other "good" things. If you're having algae or chem issues carbon can help. Also, if you have a lot of soft corals, running carbon can help keep the toxins they produce in check. Any good brand carbon will work fine, you don't need special reef carbon.

As for dosing, I do weekly water changes and don't really dose anything, but you should be checking calcium, alkalinity and pH before deciding to dose b-ionic...your levels will determine if, when and how much dosing to do.

harbingerofthefish

You can use the stock filter for the HOB. Thing is if you don't use it 24/7 and you take it out, the stuff the floss catches and dries out. Then if you use the cartridge again, that stuff is right back in the water.

a DIY note:

you can buy the big box of carbon cheaper then little bags. tie them up in pantyhose and save some money.

Archived