Pod Your Reef

Sudden snail death? or something

Alexraptor

Ok i just shored up my cleaning crew sine my tank is in dire need of it, i purchased amongst other things 2 blue legs, a mithrax crab, 4 trochus snails and a turbo.

I acclimated both the Turbo and the trochuses for several hours, drip method before introducing them into the tank, and now when they are in its almost as if theyve gone lifeless, they refuse to move about or even attach to glass or rock. as they dying suddenly???? I need some answers quick! please!

Scott Riemer

Hard to say. I've introduced new snails that didn't move for a while. So, it may be fine. Only time will tell.

Hard to say. I've introduced new snails that didn't move for a while. So, it may be fine. Only time will tell.

yes but did they refuse to even attach themselves to anything?

dead...every single trochus i bought is dead, despite proper acclimatation and water perameters being excellent, nitrates werent even measurable.

Scott Riemer
dead...every single trochus i bought is dead, despite proper acclimatation and water perameters being excellent, nitrates werent even measurable.

That seriously sucks. Not saying it contributed to their death, but I don't acclimate anything more than 30 minutes.

That seriously sucks. Not saying it contributed to their death, but I don't acclimate anything more than 30 minutes.

im particularly meticolous of acclimitising inverts due to their sensetivity to rapid temperature/salinity fluxuations.

great... all of them = dead now, but the crabs live on in perfect health. kind of sucks thou, the LFS wont give me my money back, they say they dont return money as a policy with saltwater livestock due to all the variables that can cause death. he has offered to replace them.. but i dont know....i mean for crying out load ive done like ive always done, and ive never lot a snail in just 24 hours Oo

non-photosynt

I didn't acclimated them at all, after the first was doing just fine. Searching the web, I found a lot of articles about that in some tanks the turbos just die, and very fast. Never experienced this in neither of my tanks, and because of this didn't look in depth, but here is one of the links.

Archived