Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Birth of the Midge

lizbeth

wetworx101

Just joking Lizbeth!!

As an avid computer geek I just ask> are you sure you want the old power supply. If it is OEM, it's prolly crap and nothing I would want to power a computer off of. If it is old, it prolly wont work with or have enough power for anything new. Or, wait, you could use it as a fan as well as a power supply for other fans in a large hood....hmmm.

I do have a question though: Where did you get the KRYLON spraypaint? I may not recognize it unless I know a little more about where to find it or what it looks like in a can...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those old computer power supplies can be used for all kinds of good stuff. You can power LEDS, fans, 12v pumps, etc. As long as the power supply doesn't require the 12V & 5v lead to be hooked up, there are ways around that. I hate it when i run in to those. Anyway just some food for thought.

Chris

wetworx101

Especially the Dell ones...you know your computers if you know about that. I agree with you CUNROE, I just wanted to make shure she wasnt going to build another computer with it...

freakaccident

I have a big corporate customer that has head stuck up azz syndrome and switched to all Dells including their servers. They are sorry now lemme tell ya. Dell = crap

I haven't had the chance to throw any Dell PS's at the wall but i have plenty of old Gateway's I'd like to drop off a building. My wife calls my home office a computer junk yard. I have a bunch of old computers. evertime a friend upgrades there puter i get the old one. I strip them out for parts and someday I'll throw away the rest.

You can make great little kitchen recipe computers out of those old laptops and p75 PC's.

I have been around puters for a long time have built a multi tude of them for family and friends... And i didn't get paid for anyof them...

New motto i'm telling everyone now that bring me a computer that needs fixing. "will work for coral!!!"

Anyway ya i'm a geek, nerd, electronics dork... nothing electronic gets thrown away around my house until it get stripped of all might be usful stuff.

later,

Chris

freakaccident

I just junked a bunch of Compaq DP2000 that were sitting in my storage shed. I couldn't even give them away.

Hey Liz,

Sorry for hijaking your thread. we computer geeks get excited somtimes when we find someone to talk computer with.

BTW I love your little tank. I'm now thinking of making my own little bitty nano (pico reef) to set on my desk at work.

Chris

Yep Chris I understand. I'm not a computer geek but I have built my last three myself (maybe that makes me a geek).

My sugestion now about building a little tank is to do about a three gallon one, 8"x10"x10"ish, think the size of a piece of paper. There are so many more lighting options for that size tank and the temp would be more stable.

I'm finding overheating to be a problem the minute the lights come on. At this point I'm running a night lighting cycle till I figure how to get the problem solved. I'm sure the pump generates heat too.

freakaccident

Is the fan not working for you? Mayeb stick another one pulling on the other side? Maybe a vent on top at the opposite end of the fan?

• 4 weeks later...

Progress......

Here's the post in the members section.....it's a month old.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=12109

I am finding that as long as the weather is in the 70-75 degree range the tank doesn't over heat with the fan and light going. When the house temp gets over that it creeps up, I'm not to sure how high as the stick on temp gauge only goes to 84 and it's hit that several times.

I've cut the acrylic top into two sections so I can leave the sump partion of the tank uncoverd for evap cooling. I also keep the front of the hood propped up with a piece of 1x2, it's not very attractive but it works. I should replace it with a piece of oak. I have to top the tank off with several ounces every day. If I keep the system up a mini top off system would make upkeep much simpler. I've considered connecting the tank to one of my other systems but tht would defeat the idea of it being one of the smallest operating reef tanks.

It still looks like the picture in the other post except some of the zoos have detached and settled in not so visable spots. I'm just going to leave them where they are. The nass. snail and mini brittle star seem to be doing well. I'm getting to the point of trying to add a few more coral frags but haven't decided just what they will be. When I do I'll update pictures.

Archived