Pod Your Reef

Supplemetal feeding for Turbo snails?

non-photosynt

non-photosynt

It seems, that turbo snails are running out of food in all my tanks. How should I feed them - the nory, rubberbanded to the piece of LR? The mysis is available for them, but they are not interested. Should I place food for them for all the night, or during the day for a couple of hours, water quality-wise?

I feed my snails and hermits those algae wafers they make for freshwater Pleco's.

Nori is too messy for my taste. I break 2 of the small sized wafers into small pieces and that feeds 15 hermits (blue legs and scarlets) and my various turbo's and astreas.

At night my tongan nassarius will pop out and eat the left overs.

non-photosynt

No need to remove excess - all is eaten. Will try. Thanks!

Saw yesterday the pitiful scene - the Tubro tried to reach what was left from Ochtodes, in narrow place. It extended the soft body to incredible shape - have start to feed today.

I'm having trouble imagining how this works. How do the snails zero in on the wafers? My turbos and astreas take forever to find the obvious algea in the tank, and seem to spend most of their time plodding along gnawing on rocks that appear to be devoid of algae.

Do you just plunk in the wafers and the snails locate 'em themselves, or do I need to put the wafers right in front of them?

<edit>

I should mention that there's not a lot in the way of "obvious" algae in the tank now, which is why I'm worried about them getting enough to eat in the first place.

</edit>

non-photosynt

Have no idea. What I did: in one tank with predators the snails are parked in the corners during daytime - dropped pieces of Hikari Algae wafers in the corners with snails (not precisely, but in general direction), and in 2 other tanks, were snails are active all day long - within 1/2" from them, the reaction was moving in direction of the waffle. Only couldn't see the process of eating. No traces of the waffle in the morning, but it could just desintegrate to a wet powder...

If I remember right, in reefs.org Library was article, that turbos are feeding on diatoms, but mine looks like were eating nori and ochtodes.

Archived