Cultivated Reef

Film On Water

Signmom99

I may be paranoid, but there is a film on the top of my water.  Looks almost like a simulated oil spill.  Anyone know what this could be.

I have not done a water change yet (3 weeks new on tank setup).  12g, 14lbs LR, 2 powerheads (possibly positioned too low for break surface of water 2"-6" below surface), 1 tomato clown, 2 blue legged hermits, 2 pyramid snails, 1 star polyp.

Any ideas?  Think I will try to skim the top of the water.  If nitrates are still at 12mg/l then I think I will try to do at least a 10% water change even if it throws my cycle a little longer.  Have not had any ammonia or nitrite for 2 weeks or better.

Comments, ideas, or suggestions please.  As always, thank you.

One more thing I noticed, I seem to have a million tiny air bubbles on my LR all over the tank.  Is this normal.  Have not noticed them prior to today.  What's up with that?

(Edited by Signmom99 at 1:34 am on Mar. 6, 2002)

NanoReefer53

Wastes always collect at the top of waters. That's the reason behind overflows. Since you probably arn't using a skimmer, you can try using a paper towel to dip in and out. That should grab some of that stuff. Or, next time you do a water change use a cup and take out portions of the top instead of siphoning the mid section.

Archived