Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting for a 20gal long???

Kris S

Hi guys and gals. I just picked up a 20 gal long tank last night. I didn't get a stand or any accessories to go with it. I'm going to slowly accumulate my aquarium supplies while I read and learn. (I don't want to end up with "junk" equipment.)

When I get everything purchased and running, I'll eventually move from a FOWLR to a reef. I'd jump into corals immediately, but I realize that it will take awhile to be competent enough to not wipe out all inhabitants of the tank. Because of that, when I start with corals, it will definately be low light shrooms and eventually LPS.

Lighting is still a bit of a mystery to me. I want to avoid making multiple purchases and start with the lighting that would provide optimum growth for corals, even though it will be months before I even think about my first coral purchase.

What lighting have you all had the best luck with? Any particular makes and models of lighting setups that I should avoid?

TIA,

Kris:P

If you want to avoid multiple lighting purchases and do not have a problem with spending a little bit of money - go halides.

If you can not afford that, I would suggest *shudder* PC's. :)

Good Luck,

Kris

Thanks for the input. :)

Any specific suggestions as to brands that you've had good/bad experiences with?

(I'm still on the fence with MH's vs. PC since I know it will be 6 mo to a year before I should start on corals. Since bulbs should be replaced annually, I'm not really sure what I want to do.)

What types of corals do you think you want to keep down the road? I too have a 20 long with 2x55watt pc's over it right now. Most say I can keep just about any soft corals, mushrooms etc. and most LPS but that the colorful SPS hard corals need a lot more light. So now I'm thinking about adding a halide to the setup. PC's are cheap, good and bright but lack the depth penetration in the proper spectrum that metal halides give. Metal halides are expensive and run very hot. Each has its ups and downs...if you want to have all your bases covered down the road, go with something like a 175watt MH and a couple of lower wattage PC's for actinic supplements.

If you're worried about heat, you could always purchase a pendant and hang it over the tank. I will be setting up a 20Long as well in the coming months, but am still trying to figure out which MH fixture to purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the Coralife Aqualight 130W PC on mine. Looks great! Not too expensive, I got mine on Ebay for $120 shipped.

reef hugger

2x55w PC is more than enough light in a 20L. about the only thing you couldn't keep with that lighting would be the colors of some of the brightest colored acros. they would survive but the colors would fade some.

a 20L is only 12" high. plus when the corals are placed on the lr they get alot closer to the lights. you don't need MH to reach the bottom of the tank. PCs are also alot cheaper.

if later down the road you decided to get a larger tank and wanted to do some serious SPS growing go with the MH. otherwise go with the PCs

Archived