Pod Your Reef

Invert Tank

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

I have recently decided to turn my 3gal pico into an Invert tank, along w/ shrooms, rics, zoas, and some feather dusters.

I need some help however in making my list. I want to make sure everything will be able to work together, and when thinking of where to go I came here instantly.

Here is my wish list:

3 sexy shrimp

2 Mexican Turbos

2 Cerith Snails

2 Nassarius Snails

3 Scarlet Reef Hermits

1 Sally Lightfoot Crab (maybe)

1 Sea Star (dont know what kind would be good, but I really want one)

I am also considering getting a blood shrimp, b/c I love the colors. Later next week when I bring my tank home I will be re aquascaping in order to open the sand bed a bit more and Enable me to build small caves etc out of LR Rubble.

I hope my list works, if not I am open to any suggestions/comments. Please do not hesitate. Also if you feel there is something that could be added and would look great please let me know.

Thank You

-Avalanche

avalanche1201
I do not think that a sea star will fit in a tank that size as all get pretty big.

yeah I was afraid of that :( I was hoping there was some kind out there that stayed around 2" or so..I saw a marble star on liveaquaria that stays below 3" but I guess that can be kinda big for my tank..he looks so cool to p_80438.jpg

My husband has a 3g nano and we are looking for sexy shrimp to go in.

Blood shrimp can get kind of large- at least I have a freakishly large one.

Have you considered a pistol shrimp? They are a little cryptic but its hard to hide in something so tiny hehe

avalanche1201
My husband has a 3g nano and we are looking for sexy shrimp to go in.

Blood shrimp can get kind of large- at least I have a freakishly large one.

Have you considered a pistol shrimp? They are a little cryptic but its hard to hide in something so tiny hehe

Well Liveaquaria says max size of 2"...but I guess thats not including their antennae..I was thinking a pistol shrimp but I dont think my sand bed is deep enough, and since the tank is so small I wouldnt want it be kinda cloudy alot b/c of the pistol digging and everything

Sea Life Inc. in Florida has sea stars that stay really small, about the size od a quarter or dime body wise. http://www.sealifeinc.net/

I belive you can get mini-stars from Inland Aquatics, though I dunno what species they are. My guess is they're the typical Asterina hitchhikers, which can certainly live in nano tanks but aren't particularly noticable.

There are some brittle stars which would be good, but they only come out at night. My 20-gallon is currently loaded with these - the small white ones would especially be possible.

Don't get a sally lightfoot - get a porcelain crab. And don't get Mexican Turbos, they're coldwater snails and could die in the tank. In a tank of that size I would go for a few Nerites instead - or possibly a Trochus.

avalanche1201

I dont think Mexican Turbos are cold water. Ive got one in my tank right now, and the websites I've looked at have there temp range from 72-78, just like all warm water animals.

As for the Porcelain I just looked it up and I instantly fell in love w/ it over the sally lightfoot..there colorfull and are peacful. So im going to get two of those guys.

I've been looken at sea stars from places people have suggested and non have really strike as something I really want so I think im going to pass up on those...So heres my new list:

3 sexy shrimp

2 Mexican Turbos

2 Cerith Snails

2 Nassarius Snails

3 Scarlet Reef Hermits

2 Porcelin Crabs

Rics

Zoas

Shrooms

Feather Dusters

im thinking about adding 1 or 2 Nerites because they are pretty sweet looking.

I must admit that looks alot of snails in a small tank. Any way have you thought of maybe a pom pom instead of the porcelain. I my self am looking into a pico for inverts, i have got a pom pom on my wish list along with may be a staghorn hermit.

avalanche1201

Yeah I know its pushen the snails but I figure each one can do there own thing..Out of the Mexican I have now and the cerith I really only see the mexican turbo on the glass, and the cerith on the rocks ussually. So I figure I can get some for the rocks and the turbo for the glass. As for the Nassarius they love the sand bed so I figure they can do a good job down in there...and the hermits can just roam.

I can always supplement them if the algae gets low..I think Ill be alright with them

I dont really like the pom poms, I think the porcelin will be much cooler IMO. But they would be neat for a tiny pico, just not my taste really

mascencerro

try looking for fromia stars a.k.a. bali starfish Most don't get very big. I'm not sure on the hardiness of them on a longterm basis, I've got one that I've had for about 2 months and seems to be doing well in my 6 gal, but starfish are known to take a long time to show any signs.

avalanche1201
try looking for fromia stars a.k.a. bali starfish Most don't get very big. I'm not sure on the hardiness of them on a longterm basis, I've got one that I've had for about 2 months and seems to be doing well in my 6 gal, but starfish are known to take a long time to show any signs.

Ill make sure to search them..although Im thinking a sea star isnt going to happen for my nano, since i cant find one i absolutly need,,,,as for now im pretty drunk..so its time to pass out....goodnight whoever reads this (morning of march 8 or late march 7th depending on location) :)

Archived