Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Xenia Shrimp

wmfink

I noticed tonight that a small shrimp is crawling around my Xenia. At first I thought the Xenia had caught a brine shtimp, but then I saw it move around. It blends perfectly into the Xenai. I did not notice after watching the thing for 15 minutes if it was doing any damage the Xenia. After doing a search on the net I found it to be a Xenia Shrimp, Soft Coral Shrimp, or Sea Grass Shrimp (sceintific name: Hippolyte Commensalis). Here is a link to a picture of one:

http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/p...=SegarA5212.jpg

Does anyone know if these shrimp are harmful to Xenia? Should I try to capture it or let it be?

• 2 weeks later...
printerdown01

I dunno... I've never seen one, but I wish it was in my tank!! Nice snag! Sometimes you end up with the coolest stuff by accident (and sometimes you get flatworms ;) ). Try feeding it as if you would a gorgon...? -maybe, just to see if it feeds on a soupy substance...? I don't know what to tell ya. I would try everything possible until I found out what it eats. If it does start eating your xenia, and you don't want it I'll take it! I have plenty of xenia for him to much on, and there is no way he can eat it faster than it grows ;). Congrads!!

It shall do no damage. Or at least it shouldn't. There is not much known about this species so be somewhat weary for some resemble "camel backs" and may eat some coral when grown. Just keep an eye on it, most shrimp, for the most part, are harmless but ya never know, even the harmless ones pick at corals.

Thanks. The Xenia seems to be doing fine with the Shrimp. The shrimp does not seem to harm the Xenia at all. It is amazing to see how perfectly the shrimp is camouflaged for the Xenia.

Archived