inTank Media Baskets

MILLIONS OF SEXY SHRIMP! Video and pics.

Helfrichs Chick

Helfrichs Chick

Well last night my female sexy shrimp released her eggs. I didnt realize it at first what it was and I thought it was tons of dead pods, I ran to grab my test kits, and when I got back I noticed they were all swimming. I shut off the powerheads and WOW, there were millions. Pretty crazy, so many came from a 1/2 inch shrimp. CORALS ARE EATING GOOOOOOOD today! Please let me know if the vid doesnt work. Brand new to you tube

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HelfrichsChick

post-19268-1173197128_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1173197140_thumb.jpg

Mrseptember15

Now alls you gots to do is send those babies to me via UPS and we can all be happy. Are you planning to raise any of them or use them as coral food?

Helfrichs Chick

Well I scooped up a bunch in a little ziplock bowl, they are floating in the tank now. I doubt any will live. I would assume they need lots of phyto, and maybe rotifers to eat? No clue. If she gets another clutch I may try to raise them. If the ones in the bowl are still alive when I get home I will try to feed with rotifers, but I have no clue what they need to mature, They are smaller than a pin head. Very cool but I dont think any will live.

That's awesome. I wish I could tell you what they need to survive. There might be someone on RC that has bred them. You could try asking there as well.

Helfrichs Chick

Yea I am looking it up now. Someone said baby brine, but I really doubt that as they are about the same size. I assume they eat phyto. I am gonna stop by and see if LFS has any.

Wow! Thats cool. If I were you I would setup an little bowl up for them. One of the cheap beta aquarium with an airpump and have they hang out in there. Too bad you dont live in florida I would ship you some phyto feast i have a bottle. Keep us updated. Maybe you can raise them and do a write up on it. :-) Good Luck

Helfrichs Chick

I dont know, if I had more time to research, and set up the tank I might be able to make it happen. I also used to breed mantellas, (sp. of frog smilar to dart frogs) that hardley anyone could breed. Why everything around me gotta always be making babies. NOW ITS MY PICASSOS TURN DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! They BETTER have some damn babies!!

"pretty frickin' crazy"

lol.... :lol:

I knew I should have turned off the volume. I am such a dork. LMFAO! tongue0006.gif

I dont know, if I had more time to research, and set up the tank I might be able to make it happen. I also used to breed mantellas, (sp. of frog smilar to dart frogs) that hardley anyone could breed. Why everything around me gotta always be making babies. NOW ITS MY PICASSOS TURN DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! They BETTER have some damn babies!!

I knew I should have turned off the volume. I am such a dork. LMFAO! tongue0006.gif

It could just be u. You do something to them.

NOW ITS MY PICASSOS TURN DAMN IT!!!!!!!!! They BETTER have some damn babies!!

ROFL :lol:

Actually I found your narration genuine and .... pretty frickin' cool. B)

Where did you get those picasso clowns anyways?

Helfrichs Chick

lmao stan you crack me up!

About the picassos, I special ordered them from a LFS they are ORA.

I am officially putting that in my sig. LOL I get IMed that about twice a day LMAO. Guess thats what I get for buying DA BOMB clowns! tongue0001.gif

I was pretty stoked about the shrimp, I have had scarlet hermits spawn many times in my tank, but from what I heard sexies hardly ever do. Pretty fricking cooll!!!

UPDATE: Well I got home today, the little bowl was still floating and still shrimp swimming around in it. I tried some roti-feast, just for grins. I also turned off the powerheads, and within about 2 min. I saw about 100 or so babies. So I am impressed that there are any left at all, fed the tank, roti-feats and artic pods, for grins. Not like I expect any to make it but hell wouldnt that be cool.

avalanche1201

if u get ur clowns to spawn...write me down for 2...if I dont have a tank suffecient for them...Ill make one.. Picasso Clowns are the coolest I have ever seen

HecticDialectics

Oh geez... I wish I could remember the name of the person's thread over on RC that raised the sexy shrimp. Someone from England had decent luck I think... really good ratio of starting babies to adults. err what the heck.. found it. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1 Probably the same thread you already found.. baby brine shrimp. Apparently they can munch em down because they actually just grab onto stuff and chew it. It doesn't have to be small enough to swallow.

Helfrichs Chick

No I didnt see that thread. Its helpfull, but conflicting ideas. I am starting to wonder it it was in fact my sexy shrimp!?! Someone said that they stay on the bottom for the first few days of life, then start swimming. This is odd to me, as most larve is free swimming its first few day at least then settles. Weird. I am starting to wonder if its scarlet hermit babies. I have had them spawn before. The female looks like she doesnt have any eggs anymore thou, but she has been pretty elusive lately. Hell I dont know. LOL Bottom line is I dont feel like worrying about this clutch. If she gets knocked up again, I will make a special QT tank for her and then try.

sorry to hijack but the reason picasso's are so rare is because there is maybe 1 with the picasso type white blotches per clutch they have, and the picasso's ORA has came from two perc's they have that spawned, so you would have 3rd generation inbred fish if they did spawn, plus thats really cheap for a pair of picasso's i am going to be getting a pair here soon

Archived