Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fragging a sun coral?

05XRunner

Has anyone done this. is there anything special to it.

I wanna cut a part of mine off..there is a gap between the large colony and a smaller colony off to the side..can just cut it off.

I wanna cut along the white line.

frag.jpg

Has anyone done this. is there anything special to it.

I wanna cut a part of mine off..there is a gap between the large colony and a smaller colony off to the side..can just cut it off.

I wanna cut along the white line.

frag.jpg

Do it slow with a dremel.

ProFlatlander15

You are basically cutting through rock, right? You can try bone cutters ( I think thats what theyre called), or a saw maybe. If you want to be super neat you could also use a dremel, which is probably what I would do.

yea..its just the rock..actually its the old skeleton of where polyps where probably a long time ago

Piece o' cake.

You can use a dremel with a diamond cutting disc to be more precise. You could also use bone cutters or wire snips from underneath the rock.

Either way--sun polyps are strong. I have blazed right through polyps with a cutting disc----(smells like a clam bake!)---and they have healed to become fully functioning partial polyps. The skeleton is softer than you would think.

I can lend you a cutting disc or the use of my dremel if you wanna make the drive.

I'm outta town until the weekend though.

I will just use a hacksaw again like i did with the zoas...its not cutting into any polyps its all just plain rock in the gap. Plus there is some red macro algea thats been growing in there since I got it and its getting larger and I wanna get that off so it doesnt try and take of the polyps

There comes a time in every man's life when they need to buy a Dremel....I think that time is coming near!!! You have been hacksawin' a couple corals now!! That's how caveman reefkeepers used to do it. :)

SeeDemTails

The finace got me a dremel xpr for my b-day...its sick!...I used it to drill my tank, build my stand, and frag my corals. And my fiance uses it for everything else!

Mrseptember15
The finace got me a dremel xpr for my b-day...its sick!...I used it to drill my tank, build my stand, and frag my corals. And my fiance uses it for everything else!

lol mind to clue us in on what she uses it for? I'm not sure what uses a woman can have with a dremel except maybe doing something with her nails but im guessing that would hurt. Maybe she can cut hair with it but that would hurt too -_-

fraggle rockette
lol mind to clue us in on what she uses it for? I'm not sure what uses a woman can have with a dremel except maybe doing something with her nails but im guessing that would hurt. Maybe she can cut hair with it but that would hurt too -_-

psh i have more power tools than you would ever even know how to use!... use the dremel to dremel a hole thru ya head september :P

don't worry... if i leave any rough edges, i can always polish them up with my orbital sander :naughtydance: lol

p.s. to show how much of a noob i am, i have a fragging question too: does all breaking/sawing/dremeling/etc. have to be done underwater? thanks :)

I've a sun coral for 3 weeks now. They are pretty nice when they open up. Are you telling me if I divide it into two frags, each frag will grow again? How about if I leave it like the way it is, does it grow more polyps?

Archived