SaltCritters.com

Maine Ich Outbreak

Duffy

Im having a ich outbreak in my tank right now.

I just recently had a type of polpy coral die (cause)?

and my clown and pgmy angel are infested with ich.

i have a cleaner shrimp, he aint doin much.

Should i go to the LFS and get like a cleaner wrasse?

lmk help is greatly appericated

SeeDemTails

If you added no fish the source is your tank. Im not sure if it was the coral, but corals shouldnt be dying either. Wiothout more detail I would do some major water changes now and whatever you do dont buy a wrasse for you tank or add any other fish.

I just got a neon goby covered in ich and three days in my clean tank and the ich is gone, and none of my other 5 fish even got one spot.

Make sure they are eating good food, change you filter media if you havent recently, do some big PWC's and hope for the best.

allenspidey

As a last resort I would get those fish out of there and in to a quarantine tank. If you haven't added anything recently, you have had ich for some time. It can stay in the sand bed for months from what I have read in the past. I added a fish last fall that looked fine. 3 months later had ich. It was obviously in the tank. I took all the fish and treated with copper in a QT. Fine now. Good luck

its gone down sence last night, ALOT less spots.

nothing new has been added at all, ill be sure to do a water change and filter change.

i also saw my cleaner shrimp cleaning my watchman golby.

ill try and get pics, hopefully things clear

its gone down sence last night, ALOT less spots.

nothing new has been added at all, ill be sure to do a water change and filter change.

i also saw my cleaner shrimp cleaning my watchman golby.

ill try and get pics, hopefully things clear

Well you saw less because they hatched. They will come back stronger. I would suggest doing hypo salinity treatment. You will have to set up a new aquarium. Keep them in quarantine for about 2 months. This will allow the ich to die off. It sounds like a pain. You will not regret having that system setup. Also put all fish you get in there for a month before you add them into the display. It will save you lots of headaches and money.

SeeDemTails
Well you saw less because they hatched. They will come back stronger. I would suggest doing hypo salinity treatment. You will have to set up a new aquarium. Keep them in quarantine for about 2 months. This will allow the ich to die off. It sounds like a pain. You will not regret having that system setup. Also put all fish you get in there for a month before you add them into the display. It will save you lots of headaches and money.

I disagree, strongly.

Stress influences ich, moving the fish now will only stress them more and possibly cause a death. If the fish are showing improvement, moving them now will only cause a relapse, just keep doing water changes and feed them several small meals a day. If the fish get really sick, the cleaner will help them, them may not want him to clean them right now as it may no be bothering them, only YOU!

If your tank is healthy, a fish should never die of ich, period. Thats like you dying of a cold. In your house you will get better...but let me throw you in the middle of a feild(barren QT tank) with crappy air(hypo-saline water) and see if you get better sooner or later....Ill bet water everytime. Give them some good food(mysis soaked in selcon or garlic, chicken noodle soup for fish) and they should be fine.

Unless the fish is "going to die" unless you do something, you should never run hypo or QT a fish. Providing a stable enviroment from the get-go is the best way to prevent disease. I know people who have QT'ed powder blues for months, only to add them to their tank and the fish have ich the next day. Some of the internet stuff we read is downright funny. Hypo is like Chemo therapy for cancer victims, it kills the fish and the ich, but it kills the ich first.

And as far as "getting rid of ich" by running your tank fallow for 2 months, its an internet myth. It is a part of nature, we strive to create minature eco systmes in our tanks, and this comes with the good and the bad. Ich will always be in your tank, as will alost every other fish disease.....healthy fish are what keeps these things at bay. Just like the flu virus, it is everywhere, but we dont get sick all the time because we are healthy...keep your fish healthy and expect the same.

Instrance, I am not trying to bash you in anyway, just getting the conversation going my friend. I have tried everything for ich and doing nothing beside making sure your tank is clean has always worked best for me.

if coral are dying and fish are sick, you've got water quality issues. run the gambit of tests and let us know. im sure you just need to practice better husbandry.

GL

SeeDem- BTW is totally right on. Letting a tank run fallow is a myth. If your water parameters and tank environment are causing the disease, why would removing them for a month and readding them help? You need to fix the cause of the problem and keep it from happening again.

Youre letting your tank conditions make the fish sick. There are no cures for that, no medications that will fix water quality unless you do it yourself. This is how it is. Fish dont get sick for no reason and nor do they need a medication to be cured. this hobby is about learning what works in the lives of the fish. there are no hospitals, medications, or anything of the such in the wild for these animals. there are ways to keep fish healthy that do not include them. just because a store sells a "medication" doesnt mean it works or should be used.

good luck.

I disagree, strongly.

Stress influences ich, moving the fish now will only stress them more and possibly cause a death. If the fish are showing improvement, moving them now will only cause a relapse, just keep doing water changes and feed them several small meals a day. If the fish get really sick, the cleaner will help them, them may not want him to clean them right now as it may no be bothering them, only YOU!

If your tank is healthy, a fish should never die of ich, period.

I moved 7 wrasses from a 72 gallon tank to a 125 gallon tank. Only thing added to the 125 was live rock. 2 months later i got an ich out break. Fish were all eating well and acting normal, just the white spots that come on/off. I decided to leave them in the tank and hope that they would get better on their own because i know taking them out and doing hypo or copper is very risky and difficult thing to do with 7 wrasses. I fed foods soaked in selcon, garlic, vitachem, betaglucan, etc... Fish were eatting very well. This went on for almost 3 weeks. Until i lossed two of my most prized wrasses. It all happened over night, the day before they ate and looked fine. Next day at the bottom of my tank with wounds all over the body due to secondary bacterial infection from the ich.

I strive at maintaining a healthy aquarium and weekly waterchanges so my parameters were spot on. So in hindsight, maybe i should have took them out to QT and treat, perhaps they would still be alive? Now i have to decide what to do with the remaining 5 wrasses in the tank with ich :(

Archived