Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best skimmer between...

shawn___666

shawn___666

Hey its for a 65 gallon, they're all around the same price so I was just wondering which one is the best in your opinion?

Euro-Reef RS135

Precision Marine Bullet 1

Aqua C EV-120

In most cases Euro Reef > All. They're just really good skimmers and a good design. If you're diy inclined just make your own.

I disagree euro reefs arent as good as the hype on the internet....My Life reef blows away my uncles euro no problem anyday

I disagree euro reefs arent as good as the hype on the internet....My Life reef blows away my uncles euro no problem anyday

Really? Ive heard life reef is good but i guess they're better than i thought. Arent they all hand made too?

Really? Ive heard life reef is good but i guess they're better than i thought. Arent they all hand made too?

you've only heard? have you experienced it? hmmmmm? :P don't always believe what you read? :D

I've seen over at reefsnob.com (reefcentral) that some people prefer the octopus skimmers over the euro reef. Just sayin.

if you want the best of the best...go with the ATI bubblemaster, you cant beat its performance and it is energy efficient the only problem is that there is a long waiting list to get one unless you want the bubblemaster 250 which is 750 and skims up to 600G heavy load

I like my Euro-Reef, its reliable. If I ever need to get another skimmer, however, I'll be going with Deltec.

you've only heard? have you experienced it? hmmmmm? :P don't always believe what you read? :D

Putting a life reef on a 20l doesnt make much sense seeing as how they are made for larger tanks.

shawn___666

I herd something about needing to have an ATO for Euro Reef skimmers so the water level in the sump remains the same, is this true?

I herd something about needing to have an ATO for Euro Reef skimmers so the water level in the sump remains the same, is this true?

I think just about all of the in-sump skimmers are sensitive to water level fluctuations.

It depends what type of skimmer you want. Needle wheel or becket. I know the Aqua C is a becket and the Euroreef is a NW but I am not sure about the precision marine. Also a factor to think about is how much space you have. Skimmers work best when external.

MJD

Yes lifereef skimmers are handmade and arent a large operation like some of the other skimmers on the market....

Im running a freaking mag 12 (1200 GPH) on my lifereef VS24 now and I still have to close the gate valve half way to keep the water level up in the skimmer....Not too shabby figuring the skimmer I have is one of the smallest they make....I hear of guys on reef central running mag 18's and mag 24's on them...

All I know if I upgrade to a large tank Im going to keep running my lifereef on it as I feel it can handle a lot of water...

As for the Euro reef Im not impressed at all...They just dont pull enough skimmate for me....Maybe I have high expectations

all in-sump skimmers need auto top offs to work properly.

out of the three skimmers you've listed, euro reef is probably the best. and not just because i'm running one :P lol

Tim

shawn___666

Yea I've been reading about modding the euro reef skimmers with gate valves and recirc. Has anyone here tried that, the gate valve makes sense because it simply makes adjustments easier, but is the recirc necessary? What do you think?

for a 65 a precision marine bullet 1 is way too big, i had one on a 90 and it was too big for that tank so reconsider that one

I am using these 3 skimmers now.

Bermuda BPS-3C (300 bux + pump) + very nice footprint, working awesome.

Octopus NW-150 (150 bux incuding pump) working very good.

ER RS-100 (290 bux with pump) average, Octopus is skimming better.

And would rate them in that order. Personally, i wont buy another ER. I Am not impressed with their skimmate production for the $$$.

If money were no object, Bubblemaster FTW. Money being an object, in a tank that size, Octopus NW-150 FTW.

btw, i have seen proraptors Lifereef, and it pulls alot of nasty skimmate. Its very impressive.(but i'd still go with the Bubblemaster)

good luck, Mike :)

Archived