Top Shelf Aquatics

appropriate shells for hermits

100pens

I have several shells left over from when I kept shellies and I'd like to put them in the tank to lessen the likelihood of my two hermit crabs fighting each other or killing snails for shells. Are there any shells that would be inappropriate?

Also, the other day I noticed my crab wedged into the lr in a way that looked like he was stuck. After at least a whole day I noticed he was still there so I took him out. A few hours later he was right back up there again. Is that normal?

closeup-1.jpg

Also, the other day I noticed my crab wedged into the lr in a way that looked like he was stuck. After at least a whole day I noticed he was still there so I took him out. A few hours later he was right back up there again. Is that normal?

Ha, I just pulled two blue-legs out of crevices in the rock where they'd been stuck for a day. Fortunately they were in plain sight, next time I don't know if they'll be so lucky. Not the brightest little chaps.

I'm sure they should be able to choose which shells are appropriate but I always read that shellies could get caught in shells that had too many tight spirals because they wouldn't come across shells like that in Lk. Tang. I'm just worried that hermits might have the same problem with certain types of shells.

Also, now that he's gone back to the same place I'm not so sure he is stuck. Maybe he's chosen a home? I guess time will tell :)

My hermits love astrea shells. A lot of them like to rest inbetween two of my rocks. They look like they're stuck but they always find a way to get out

This probably isn't obvious - when I say "shellies" I'm referring to african cichlids that are small and use discarded shells as homes and breeding sites.

Chupacabras

To answer the first question, hermits can handle any shell you throw at them. Hermits will climb into the rocks at angles it seems almost impossible for them to get out of, too.

If they're FW snail shells they'll probably look out of place and you definitely need more than a few to keep crabs happy. Just go to a craft store and buy a big bag of SW snail shells for a couple of bucks.

Great, thanks.

I have a few that look like SW shells so I'll drop then in now. I did get them from a craft store but for my shellies I only used some of them.

Great, thanks.

I have a few that look like SW shells so I'll drop then in now. I did get them from a craft store but for my shellies I only used some of them.

Ya, they will pick out whatever shell suits their fancy, I really don't see any pattern to how or what shell they will chose. I just go to the craft store and grab a bunch for a few $s then pick ones I think are appropriate in size. I've noticed that around molting time they will seek out a tight spot to hang out in until their molt is finished.

I've noticed that around molting time they will seek out a tight spot to hang out in until their molt is finished.

That's exactly what just happened. I saw a body hanging out and thought he must have been stressed out and died, until I saw his little legs moving around inside the shell.

Do they eat their old self or should I take it out? Approx. how often do they molt?

That's exactly what just happened. I saw a body hanging out and thought he must have been stressed out and died, until I saw his little legs moving around inside the shell.

Do they eat their old self or should I take it out? Approx. how often do they molt?

If the molt is out in the open and no trouble to take out - I'll take it out, but I don't sweat it if I don't take it out. I think folks could go either way with leaving or taking 'em out. My crabs are tiny, so a molt lying around isn't going to do anything to the water quality. There is no pattern as to how often they will molt - I think it depends on the age and health of the crab, but maybe a crab expert can chime in here with more/better info than myself. or try searching for some threads with more info.

Archived