Pod Your Reef

weird algae on my mangove please help

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

yea, i know they should be half in and half out they are just temporarily theree till i figure out how to do it

Nishant3789

heh sorry i thought i said how long ago i put sand in.... well the sand came form thebeach as did the manroves., i colected hte sand far off shore and hte mangroves just sorta washed up on the beach (which is how many of the online stores get their groves) anyways once i took them home i washed the groves well thenn i added the sand and groves to the tank. this was 3 days ago. the sand was good because i can aleady see amphipods and grammus shrimp.

nishant

asshat.

they dont grow like that.

Geez.. I told you to read up.

CONGRATULATIONS ! YOU JUST KILLED YOUR TREES !

oh and ....

wowurafntardclean.jpg

Nishant3789

read up and i said i was going to move them once i decided how to make them go half in and half out, i was just wonderin what hte algae was. maybe ill just stick them in an HOB.....

I dont think thats algae dood. I think the mangrove is suffering from being completely submerged.

Put them in your HOB and keep an eye on them.

• 3 weeks later...
celticht32

it isnt an algae but a rot fungus.. when the mangrove goes bad it gets covered with that stuff. Sorry to say its probably going bad.

The quickest way to tell is to feel the pod.. if it feels squishy then its dead and get it out of the water. When you collect pods make sure to feel the pods.. if they are squishy.. they are bad.. if they are missing a part.. they are bad....

Mangroves can grow being submurged.. what causes the groves to begin to root is being placed upright with the fatter end down towards the sand. I have been growing mangroves now for almost 2 years and have a small grove under my 55.

What I have found is that when you mix calurpa and mangroves

the mangroves tend to win over the calurpa..Several others have noticed this effect as well.

After I started using the mangroves I begain to notice the skimmer would pull less and less until finally I just removed it and have been skimmerless for 2 years.

If you would like to know more about mangroves please feel free to ask me...

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Espy: You are mistaken when you relate being "a f***in' retard" to killing reef inhabitants. I'm sure you would consider my daughter "a f***in' retard" but, believe me, she has never killed any reef inhabitants. You offensive little boy, you! May your sebatical be terminal in nature... If not then grow the f up and stop being an offensive brat. Kenny

deacon hemp

blissdon chill dave's gone right now so your talking to no one,and btw i miss dave's antics and so do lots of people,he also knows more than me and you combine when it comes to reefing!

p.s. if you don't research your inhabitants,then ask wtf my things are dying in the ADVACE forum you deserve to be torched!

DaveESPI aside: Nishant did say he knew that they should be half out, but didn't figure it out before going out & adding them...sommewhat 'tardish, but who cares: I don't want to get into any of that hoo-ha.:P

OK< Nishant: I did a search on RC, (####ed that I accidentally erased most of what I had already typed here, but the search came up with the same ideas)

Here are a few ideas re: floating them. If you are only putting them into a hang-on, I would go with a strip of eggcrate for them to grow through:

RC #1 RC#2

RC3#

Now, having done a little research, and using one small mangrove in my eco hang-on and 5 gal mantis tank:

1. Make sure you have enough ambient light shining on the mangrove from the top for it to actually grow.

2. Be sure to keep salt creep off the truck of the tree, and wash it down with fresh RO/DI water from time to time to prevent this (just like natural rain!)

HTH

Nishant3789

thanks for the help, btw those mangroves DID survive, i had to tear that tank down because my momma said so, now the groves are in my fuge half in half out and are sprouting roots but still no leaves.... mayvbe itll just take some time.

nishant

Archived