Top Shelf Aquatics

Value of a PPE frag with two polyps?

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

The title of the thread pretty much says it all.

I have been watching this small PPE frag grow for 2 years in the 10 year old 10 gal nano display at my LFS.

It started as one polyp, and has now grown into like 5. Well I have been on them to sell me some from the first day they put it in there, and I finally convinced them to sell me a snail shell with two polyps on it. They only have 5 to start with so selling me 2 is awsome.

How much should I give them for it?....The owner doesnt know the going rates on these and said he would sell them to anyone else for cash money, but I am a good customer and take the owner fishing lol so he said find out the fair value and they are yours, as long as he gets some frags back later.

These are true PPE for sure.

I would say $60-$80. $60 being a good deal, $80 being the going rate.

The title of the thread pretty much says it all.

I have been watching this small PPE frag grow for 2 years in the 10 year old 10 gal nano display at my LFS.

It started as one polyp, and has now grown into like 5. Well I have been on them to sell me some from the first day they put it in there, and I finally convinced them to sell me a snail shell with two polyps on it. They only have 5 to start with so selling me 2 is awsome.

How much should I give them for it?....The owner doesnt know the going rates on these and said he would sell them to anyone else for cash money, but I am a good customer and take the owner fishing lol so he said find out the fair value and they are yours, as long as he gets some frags back later.

These are true PPE for sure.

er1c_the_reefer

depends how big the polyps are... big fat dime size polyps i've seen at lfs's for $50/polyp.

smaller, i'd go $30-$40 polyp...

SeeDemTails

Bwahahaha he told me 30$, and he said he didnt even want to charge me that much! I will give him atleast that though, if not 40$. Like I said this is a good shop with good guys. They dont do me wrong so I dont want to do them wrong.

These are nice polyps, they are about the size of a dime for sure.

He is hardcore....like I said he has a 10 gal with a 10 gal sump that is over 10 years old on the front counter. He has been doing "nano" before it was even thought possible. You should have heard what other shops said about small tanks 8-10 years ago, they all said he was crazy and it would crash. It is now full of some of the sickest corals I have seen, none of which are for sale. Except for me, after two years of "hey so you ready to frag them PPE's?" and about 20 fishing trips lol.

80$.......I am afraid I cant be honest with him now......I will tell him later when I bring back a couple frags lol.

Bwahahaha he told me 30$, and he said he didnt even want to charge me that much! I will give him atleast that though, if not 40$.

Even better.

Everyone can quote "market value" but your "market" isn't the same. You're a good--long-time customer and friend. It's a little break. Don't give the guy $60-$80....

Even better.

Everyone can quote "market value" but your "market" isn't the same. You're a good--long-time customer and friend. It's a little break. Don't give the guy $60-$80....

Def. give him what he wants, no more, no less.

SeeDemTails

I picked them up today......

This one is about the size of a dime, there is an eraser sized one on the other side.

IMG_3944.jpg

Now slice 'em boys. They grow even faster when they get cut--IME anyway.

I am thinking about just scoring them -- not fragging them---but just injuring them with a slice between the polyps to see if it has the same effect.

I would rather you guys try it instead. ;)

mvite, you first, I insist!

Awright then! I am headed outta town for work for a few days. I will be back on Thurs or Fri. I will do it and take pics this weekend.

It's no biggie! You will treat them like eggs for a while---and then you won't. The one I sold/traded with greenie was a single---that sprouted a double head baby days after I sliced it. For me they have been very resilient. I have a 5 polyp frag and a 1 polyp frag with two tiny buds on it. I will do it to all of them if I can.

Me, you and greenie can post our PPE's here and race!! Me with the sliced sets.

But I can't until this weekend. Damn job always effs with my corals. :)

My PPE have been kind of ticked off lately, not sure what is up. The tank tests fine as far as pH, alk, calcium, nitrate, etc, but for some reason the PPE tentacles are not extending out. Every other zoo/paly I have looks great.

Any ideas? I cant think of what closed tentacles means. It is not like the paly is closed, it is open, but the tentacles just arent extended out like usual. They haven't been for like a month. Not sure if it is a lighting or flow issue maybe?

SeeDemTails

When someone figures this out please let me know....my zoas will look fine for months and then the tenticles will pucker a little for a week and freak me out. IME they always get better after a few days or weeks in some cases.

It has stressed me out on numerous occasions!

I will say I have never seen a zoanthid or paly die, ever!...And I have seen some messed up, shrivled, slimy frags that always came back!

It took them to years two go from 1 to 5?!!! I traded one polyp of ppe to a buddy about 6 weeks ago, he already has 4 new full baby polyps.

er1c_the_reefer

i want in on this ppe race... i'm going to try mvite's method though.

a lot of soft corals do grow faster when you frag them. my theory is this: as a colony the polyps can share nutrients they gather via photosynthesis. however as singles, they lose that support and are more at risk. so singly polyps, in order to increase chances of survival, put out more polyps as fast as they can

SeeDemTails

Yeah, they grew really slowly in this tank.....they were on the bottom too.

I am going to put them in a 15h under 150W halide eventually. Hopefully they will grow faster.

I'll do it and take some pics tonight. I will post em here.

My 5-6 just threw a tiny tiny "double" polyp. They are weird--they look like a single with two mouths when they start and then they "share" a single polyp for a week or so----only to eventually end up as two.

Archived