Top Shelf Aquatics

its not cycling

chex

I was wondering i got 2o lbs of live sand fresh out of a a system that my buddy had at his pet store, that he tore down. so is it possible that the sand has enough bacteria in it that it might not even cycle, or just barley go through a mini-cycle. I bought a gamsel like 3 days ago trying to start the ammonia and nothing. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks???

duckhuntboy

If you transported the sand fast enough, there shouldn't be much die-off. There are lots of people who don't notice a cycle (myself included) when they start their tank, and vise versa. The next thing you need is live rock, but if you're asking what the next thing is, you probably haven't done near enough reading. Click the information button at the top of this page, and read some of Chris's articles. That will give you a place to start. If you're getting some Live rock, dont add anything after that until you've read a ton, and then read some more.

BTW, you could have put in the live sand and the live rock at the same time, because you need to watch out for another cycle when you add your live rock.

thank you for the insite i know i need live rock i have dona a lot of homework just wanted an opinon. On what was definetly the most important next. Item im gonna get some rock in the next few days. thank you though i just didn't put the live rock in cause im inbetween jobs and it went towards rent

yeah it really sucks being broke. But im getting some rock tommorrow. i got a turbo today cause i noticed algae starting to grow on my sand. I also got a 60 gallon cichlid tank to take care of.

If you're broke, a freshwater planted tank is really the way to go. MUUCH cheaper than a reef tank. Even a nano. My roommate keeps a 55 gallon freshwater planted tank and he's probably only spent maybe a quarter of what I've spent so far for my 18 gallon nano. And mine's not even fully stocked yet.

Luckily, I have the kind of job that allows me to spend way too much money on hobbies. If you want to reduce costs, try to find a local reefkeeper club to join. I've found that local clubs often have cuttings coming out of their ears that they'll gladly give away because otherwise they'd throw them away. At least for things like xenia. Also, local clubs tend to pool their resources so they can buy large quantities of things at a discount.

Oh believe me, I know what it's like to be broke. And I can't ever imagine trying to keep a reef tank let alone more than one on a pauper's budget.

John

Archived