Innovative Marine Aquariums

all these inverts TOGETHER?

crazinezz978

crazinezz978

hey guys,

ive finally decided to make my 55 a not-a-trigger-tank.

so, i have the freedome of INVERTS[seems like heaven]

so i was looking at a wide range to put in my tank together. Idont know if it is possible. So far;

peppermint shrimp

skunk cleaner shrimp

several blueleg hermits

3 large hermits-bout the size of a golf-ball

nassaruis snails

margarita snails

arrow crab

porcelin crab

coral banded shrimp

emerald crabs

some star-fish-linkia maybe

may be a lot but i tihnk im gonna take this freedom to have as many inverts as possible along with my mated pair of maroon clowns:) please guys i am new and dont know anything to inverts. What cant go together when using inverts? thanks

sephroth_r1

The shrimps and crabs will fight i belive, unless they have a LARGE enough space (notice the emphasis.) And I am not sure if a 55 is big enough... but good luck...

Well at least the large hermits will clean up remains of the Arrow crab vs. coral banded death match.

Personally I would scratch the:

Arrow Crab

Coral Banded

and Large Hermits

crazinezz978

skunk cleaner shrimp

Horse Shoe crab

3 large hermits

Scarlet Hermit crabs

porcelin crab

emerald crabs

peppermint shrimp

nassaruis snails

blueleg hermits

I added a horse shoe today because my son went completely nuts over it. I dont know if it limits alot but hopefully i can have the first three as "show-piece" inverts atleast and anything else up there. BTW i am going to have a algae blenny to help with the diatom. Will this be sufficent with very bad lighting in a 55 gallon with live sand? Thanks

Horseshoe crab is *not* a good idea for reef tanks, especially small ones. They're mainly coldwater, need a 100 gallon + tank, and generally eat anything living they can find in the sand and then slowly starve to death. If you're serious about keeping one, put it in a room temperature tank that's much larger, has a deep sand bed, and feed it regularly.

I'm kinda surprised given you wanted an invert tank you've picked up so few snails (esp any algae-eating snails)...it's like missing half the fun of having inverts.

Juanhunglo69

I had this giant Hermit in NC that I brought back from my trip to Iraq and he destroyed anyhing that moved in my invert tank. Well he tried. He would pick at hermit crabs and snails and occasionallyt catch an emerald looking gorilla crab and when he did catch one of the crabs he would destroy him it was awesome. Probably would have been a good fight for one of these mean a$$ mantis shrimp that I read so much about. I fed him shrimp from the seafood section at walmart. When I dropped the shrimp in the tank he would litterally catch it and devour it. I did have a starfish in there that he never showed any interest in. The starfish came from the persian gulf as well. I made the mistake of sending home pics and the son wanted him so I had to do what any father would do and bring the stuff home. My son set the tank up and let it cycle and all. So we had an invert only tank. Pretty darned cool considering that most of the inhabitants came from the Persian Gulf.

Here is the thread that I started on them.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry973195

The reason I mentioned him here is: I would say keep those big guys out of your tank unless you want brutal killers in there.

crazinezz978

great hermit.....i wish mine was that big, seems a bit destructive. I might take it out if need be. I am very disappointed in not researchiong for the horse shoe. I kno i kno it was all my fault. Ill have him back at the LFS, so what are my options now? can 2 different shrimps co-exist?

I'd ditch the CBS and keep the Arrow crab. I had an Arrow in a nano with a blood shrimp a few fish and they got along great. When it got big I put him in my 75 with a cbs. He is now back in a smaller tank trying to regrow all but two of his legs and both his claws.

They are much cooler to watch than a shrimp. They're out all day where you'll hardly see a cbs.

post-17614-1173401308_thumb.jpg

crazinezz978

arrow crab with a cleaner shrimp ok?

and my "large" hermits arent as huge as 3 posts above...ther maybe the size of a golfball...still should i ditcvh them?

crazinezz978

is CBS saying coral banded shrimp? yeh i lost hope with those things a while ago. too agressive for what i want. I was asking for the SKUNK cleaner shrimp. Ive heard there mild tempered. I also want them for potential ick outbreaks. so...

...can a SKUNK CLEANER SHRIMP reside with an arrow crab? with a bunch of snails n hermits?

thanks guys

Archived