Cultivated Reef

same sheet..different reefer

moonlightxpress825

moonlightxpress825

damn i got a serious case of ich in my tank..my two clowns ,flameblack and sixline all got it..my blue spot jawfish decided to skip town today..he jumped :( ..pretty hard to take them out since qt is best for them..i know i am gonna have a problem catching the sixline with all the rocks and corals in it..should i do agrressive water changes and hope for the best?pretty depressed and desparado here...any advice is soothing..

well since the entire tank has it there seems no sense in QT-ing them. How many corals are there? I have never understood the idea of a QT tank when the maximal # of fish we keep is 3 or 4. That being said, you may have to QT since any more fish introductions may cause another outbreak. My advice is let it ride, and see what happens. You may want to think about where you are buying your fish. IF you can catch the remaining fish, I would do a series of freshwater dips or soak them in malachite green/methylene blue (common ich medications) in a bucket of water. Maybe you can get the "beta nets" and keep them there in the tank for easy access and dip every other day (Make sure they are plastic and not metal!!). In reality, though, that might be more stressful. You can also try increasing the temp of the tank to speed up the cycle of the parasite. In any case, the parasite will go latent only to be re-awakened by stress or recent fish introductions. Water changes will do nothing, since the parasite forms latent cyst-like capsules that remain for days or weeks.

Sorry for the grim answer but this parasite is really a pain in the you know what - good luck and keep us posted.

moonlightxpress825
maybe your tank is too small.

thanks bradarmi and adin for the response..i hope i can ride it out..and yes i think my tank is too small..i thought i could get away with it since i have a cpr skimmer and a eheim canister filter in a 20long setup..dumb rookie...

No problem - thats a common misconception among "newbies." Just because you increase the amount of filtration and have near perfect water parameters does not mean your fish will be healthy. Intrtspecific competition (between clown and damsel) and intraspecific competition (between 2 clowns) is often overlooked. In small quarters these fish really get on each other's nerves and there is no where to go to escape the competition - that breeds illness. Same analogy to crowded inner-city quarters in detention centers and jails (pecking orders always occur). Decrease te total stress and ich should not return.

damn i got a serious case of ich in my tank..my two clowns ,flameblack and sixline all got it..my blue spot jawfish decided to skip town today..he jumped :( ..pretty hard to take them out since qt is best for them..i know i am gonna have a problem catching the sixline with all the rocks and corals in it..should i do agrressive water changes and hope for the best?pretty depressed and desparado here...any advice is soothing..

i totally agree wityh agressive water changes. usually the issue is stress related- ie water related. also the fish can come down with crypt if the temp is not holding at an acceptable value.

GL

i also agree with the water changes, but there are things you can use for the fish you can catch... fermaldahyde works great and you should be able to get it atyou LFS... one of my tangs had ich and i caught him put him in a 5 gallon pail added like 2 or 3 drops of fermaldahyde and left him in there for 3 hrs... never got ich again... if you dont know what fermaldahyde is... its blue liquid added to water somtimes... but its not reef safe so def take the fish out haha... on the other hand... you could use kick-ich which is reef safe and follow the directions on the bottle... i use that as well and add it every week to my tank even though there is no trace of ich just to be safe... it really odes work.. both of them

moonlightxpress825
i also agree with the water changes, but there are things you can use for the fish you can catch... fermaldahyde works great and you should be able to get it atyou LFS... one of my tangs had ich and i caught him put him in a 5 gallon pail added like 2 or 3 drops of fermaldahyde and left him in there for 3 hrs... never got ich again... if you dont know what fermaldahyde is... its blue liquid added to water somtimes... but its not reef safe so def take the fish out haha... on the other hand... you could use kick-ich which is reef safe and follow the directions on the bottle... i use that as well and add it every week to my tank even though there is no trace of ich just to be safe... it really odes work.. both of them

thanks ac and six..i am down to two fish now..sux..no spots on the sixline and some specks on the clown..i might try kick ich..thanks..

SeeDemTails

I know you shouldnt just add a species to fix a problem, but every tank needs a cleaner shrimp in their tank.

You have a CUC for your rock and sand, why not your fish?

Archived