Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Should I be feeding my hitchikers?

eschaton

My 20-gallon cycled in seemingly record time, but I'm taking my time putting the CUC together (added seven various snails last night, but that's only phase one).

The rock came with a number of great hitchhikers, including stomatela, some tiny white snails, featherdusters, spaghetti worms, tons of bristleworms, tons of mini brittlestars (at least two species), a mini starfish, some sort of bivalve grown into the rock, sponges, pods, etc.

These rocks were sitting in a LFS for months, so the die-off already happened. However, they were also in stock tanks where they could scavange what the fish and inverts for sale were eating. My tank is probably still weeks away from the first fish inhabitants, and months away from the first corals. I'm concerned that if the tank goes months without a meal, the detrivores will die back, cause a waste spike, only to rebound again. This is a particular concern with the bristleworms and brittlestars, as they're rather large, scavengers, and I literally have dozens of each somehow from four rather small bits of live rock.

So, should I be tossing a small bit of food in there? Or will these critters be pretty much okay for the time being?

Archived