Top Shelf Aquatics

Moon Jellys?

Pet-Lover

For my past tanks i find Baby moon Jelly swimming in my Fuge and in my tank every so often. (im pretty sure they're Moon jelly because thats exactly what they look like in the aquarium)

They come from "Moon Jelly Polyps" and i have/had a few in my tank and fuge which i thought were aiptasia. what these do are basically spores, they create more of these Jellys.

So basiccally im wondering if you guys have seen smaller Jellys in your Tank.

SoCal Reefer

Tagging along. ive seen one in my LFS before from my understanding they need strong lighting and they can sting other tanksmates

umm I think they're called Hydroids, all i can say about mine though is they dont branch of of eachother they're a single "polyp,

for the past 2 weeks ive seen 6 of them but they got sucked up from the skimmer.

its not a hydroid its a type of jelly fish. however jelly fish are in the same phylum as hydroids. moon jellys start off as polyps. but to answer the original question, I have no experience with them.

SeeDemTails

I have seen a few small jelly looking things in my tank, not sure if they are jellies though. I live in daytona beach and we have wild moon jellies all over the place, my buddy put a big one in his 90 gal grouper tank and it died in a week and nuked his tank.

however jelly fish are in the same phylum as hydroids.

Phylum....havent heard that word in a while!

Kings

Play

Cards

On

Fat

Green

Stools

Thats how I remebered in middle school lol.

Anyone have a pic of a jelly polyp? I have some translucent white things growing in my tank that I have been thinking are aiptasia, but look a little different than the brown things I know are aiptasia.

That is very cool, and you are so lucky to be able to watch them!

I love moon jellies, but unfortunately they are quite difficult to keep in captivity. From what I undertand they need a strong consistant flow to stay alive. There are companies out there who make jellyfish tanks but they are quite expensive ($1000 and up).

That is very cool, and you are so lucky to be able to watch them!

I love moon jellies, but unfortunately they are quite difficult to keep in captivity. From what I undertand they need a strong consistant flow to stay alive. There are companies out there who make jellyfish tanks but they are quite expensive ($1000 and up).

Archived