Coral Vue Hydros

Best Shrimp

grantguy

So I woke this morning to find my Peppermint Shrimp (Jacque) belly up. I'm pretty positive he got attacked by my Damsel (Muqtada al Sadr). Anywho, these things happen....

In light of that: I have a 12 gallon eclipse with 96w. I'm going to have a few corals, and two clowns. In all of your opinions, whats my best option as far as shrimp are concerned (Jacque 2)?

Thanks guys. :D

none. peppermints attack this and that. skunks will pick at your lps corals and get the food out of their guts/stomach. cbs are just anal. never had blood though. but yeah -_- just...none -_-

my cleaner shrimp never gives me any issues, my pepps on the other hand need to get shot so i boot them out my tank.

i'd say skunk cleaner if you really want a shrimp. The fire shrimp is just too fat and bulky IMO compared to the slim skunk.

Yeah my skunk cleaner will pick food from my corals...just feed the shrimp first that way he has enough food to keep him busy while the corals take their time...other than that, he is most certainly trouble free.

lol that's after i've spot fed him an entire silverside first. then maybe an hour later, he'll decide to go by every single lps i had and check out the contents of their stomach. BOTH of the cleaners did this -.- with at least 5 different cleaner shrimp -_-

i had a peppermint for about 4 months. never had any problem

let me get this straight...you are going to have 2 clowns and a damsel plus a shrimp in a 12g?

My moneys on your toilet.

a lot of people have 3 fishes in a 12 gallon. i had a sixline, perc, firefish, and a shrimp with no problems at all. a lot of 12 gallons can support that amount of bioload.

No the Damsel is going to back to the LFS when I get some clowns in a month or two. However I'm considering sending him back when I get a new shrimp, so I don't have to worry about him attacking any more.

So skunk cleaner or sexy shrimp?

How about an emerald crab or something? Thoughts?

:D

how about a pistol/goby combo?

^^^ although I'd avoid the goby + mated clowns - being a damsel they get territorial IME in small tanks like this, try just one clown

I've always had good luck with fire/blood shrimp, however they tend to hide more than skunks during the day. And yes, they can get rather large. As far as fish, two clowns would be okay in a 12g, especially if they have something to host in. If they get cranky, put in a much smaller damsel to be their b*i*t*c*h. Then the damsel will take the abuse until your clowns get established together. It worked for me.

I've always had good luck with fire/blood shrimp, however they tend to hide more than skunks during the day. And yes, they can get rather large. As far as fish, two clowns would be okay in a 12g, especially if they have something to host in. If they get cranky, put in a much smaller damsel to be their b*i*t*c*h. Then the damsel will take the abuse until your clowns get established together. It worked for me.

I'm going to wait awhile and decide on the shrimp. I think I'm going to go with the Fire Shrimp though. I like how he looks.

Going to stick with the two clowns for now, we'll see if I change my mind in a month or two.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll throw some pictures on here of the shrimp when I get him. :)

if you wan the best shrimp that wont get attacked by a damsel...go with a mantis shrimp, the clowns will most likely be safe but the damsel is good as gone, thats the best shrimp to go with i found

Archived