Pod Your Reef

My Camel Shrimp is having babies!

AnnaRose

This past Sunday I noticed that my Camel shrimp looked like she was carrying eggs so I isolated her in a 2.5 aga that I have setup as kind of an experimental tank.

This morning I turned the light on and saw what I thought was left over cyclops that I fed the tank last night floating in the water. Then I noticed they were moving and realized the eggs were hatching!

I'll post a couple pictures later. I have some of the fry swiming at the surface of the tank and some of her releasing the newborns.

Pretty cool stuff. This is the second time in a week we have had one of our tanks amaze us. Our 90 gal tropical has some angels in it and Friday night we noticed they were spawining. None of those eggs survived the night because of all the other fish we have in the tank but it still was pretty neat to watch.

Now, how do I take care of the new arrivals?

There is nothing else in the tank but the mother shrimp, a piece of live rock and substrate (crud) that I got out of the bottom lfs's live rock tank to seed this one.

Please let me know what I can do to help the little guys survive.

Thanks

Here are a few pictures.

She is releasing some of the young here

post-23667-1172595046_thumb.jpg

Whole tank shot

post-23667-1172595127_thumb.jpg

The small flecks are the fry

post-23667-1172595265_thumb.jpg

Close up of fry. The white clouds are phyto for food.

post-23667-1172595418_thumb.jpg

i see a hob filter on there. say goodbye :)

if you want to raise them, switch to a sponge air pump thing -_-and remove the mom. she'll eat them too

I kept the filter turned off while they were being released and have since modified it with a sponge intake and a sponge on the return so there is very very little current.

I'll remove the mom tonight. Right now they are all hiding, I hope.

lol they'd still get sucked in -_-

and er...i think they're supposed to be free floating for a while? not really sure...but if you don't see any, probably means they're gone -.- either by the hob or the mom

Archived